About This Chapter
GACE Physics: Magnetism - Chapter Summary
By reviewing this chapter's engaging lessons, you'll have your memory refreshed on important topics dealing with magnetism. These lessons will prepare you for any GACE Physics assessment items that deal with the following:
- Magnetic poles and dipoles
- Magnetic fields and how they're created
- Magnetic forces and their effect on moving charges
- Faraday's law and the Lorentz force law
- Electromagnetic induction
- Applications of Ampere's law and Lenz's law
Our highly accessible video lessons are equipped with a unique tagging system that makes jumping to specific points easier and more efficient for your study. Once you complete a video lesson, you can take a quick practice quiz to make sure you fully understand the material covered.
1. Magnetic Force: Definition, Poles & Dipoles
You're probably familiar with magnets, but have you ever stopped to consider how they work? In this lesson, we'll look at the root of magnetism and some of the fundamental properties of magnets.
2. What is a Magnetic Field?
Magnetic fields fill the space around all magnets, but they're impossible to detect with our own senses. We'll use a common tool to map out a magnetic field and then discuss ferromagnetic materials to see how a magnetic field can be used to create new magnets.
3. How Magnetic Fields Are Created
Have you ever wondered how magnetic fields are created? In this lesson, we'll discuss the very simple answer to this question and look at how electric current can be used to make electromagnets, which have many everyday applications.
4. How Magnetic Forces Affect Moving Charges
A magnetic field exerts a force on a moving charged particle in ways that you might not expect. In this lesson, we're going to look at the direction of this force and the factors that affect its strength.
5. Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic Induction: Equation and Application
Electromagnetic induction allows us to induce voltage with the movement of a magnetic field. Credited to Michael Faraday, this discovery was not only groundbreaking at the time, but it has since led to many applications in everyday life.
6. Electromagnetic Induction: Definition & Variables that Affect Induction
We use electromagnetic induction every day, but do you have any idea what it is? In this lesson, we'll discuss this everyday phenomenon, the factors that affect its strength and its most common applications.
7. Electromagnetic Induction: Conductor to Conductor & Transformers
Every day, we make use of a special case of electromagnetic induction known as mutual induction. In this lesson, we'll talk about this special phenomenon and how it is used in many common devices.
8. The Lorentz Force Law
Electric and magnetic fields are both capable of creating forces on charged particles. In this lesson you'll learn how these two forces are related through the Lorentz force law.
9. Lenz's Law, Magnetic Flux and Motional EMF
Did you know that you can produce electricity by simply moving a magnet? In this lesson, learn more about electromagnetic induction and how electricity is generated.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Physics (530): Practice & Study Guide course
- GACE Physics: History & Nature of Science
- GACE Physics: Science & Society
- GACE Physics: Role in Daily Life & the Environment
- GACE Physics: Scientific Inquiry
- GACE Physics: Lab Safety Procedures & Hazards
- GACE Physics: Scientific Measurement & Data
- GACE Physics: Math for Physics
- GACE Physics: Properties of Matter
- GACE Physics: Kinematics
- GACE Physics: Force & the Laws of Motion
- GACE Physics: Oscillations
- GACE Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- GACE Physics: Principles of Fluids
- GACE Physics: Linear Momentum
- GACE Physics: Work & Energy
- GACE Physics: Equilibrium & Elasticity
- GACE Physics: Rotational Motion
- GACE Physics: Thermodynamics
- GACE Physics: Atoms
- GACE Physics: Modern & Nuclear Physics
- GACE Physics: Relativity
- GACE Physics: Electrostatics
- GACE Physics: Electric Circuits
- GACE Physics: Waves, Sound & Light
- GACE Physics: Wave Optics
- GACE Physics: Energy Production
- GACE Physics Flashcards