About This Chapter
GACE Physics: Oscillations - Chapter Summary
When used as part of your study resources for the Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators (GACE) Physics assessment, this chapter could help you review the physics behind oscillating motions and force. Watch our professional instructors in this series of lesson videos to review:
- Formulas for simple harmonic motion (SHM)
- The spring constant and Hooke's Law
- Kinetic and potential energy of SHM
- Kinematics of SHM
- Physics of spring-block oscillators
- Physics behind pendulums
Within this chapter, you'll find lively video lessons, self-assessment quizzes and written transcripts. The lessons feature video tags with which you can skip from one topic to another with just a click. Once feel you have mastered the material of this chapter, take the practice chapter exam to test your overall understanding before you take the GACE Physics assessment.
GACE Physics: Oscillations Objectives
The objective of the GACE Physics assessment is to determine whether or not prospective physics teachers in the state of Georgia have the knowledge needed to become certified physics teachers. To achieve its objective, this exam asks a series of 120 multiple-choice questions, administered in 2 two-hour blocks of time. Of the questions on the first subtest, 60% belongs to the content domain of Mechanics and may include some questions about harmonic motions and oscillation. This chapter has been assembled to help you prepare for these questions by reviewing harmonic motion, Hooke's law and the physics of spring-block oscillators.
1. Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM): Definition, Formulas & Examples
Simple harmonic motion (SHM) is the motion in which an object moves back and forth along a line. This lesson explores SHM, examining some of the equations that describe it and looking at some examples.
2. Hooke's Law & the Spring Constant: Definition & Equation
The spring constant is a numerical representation of the force required to stretch a material, and Hooke's law asserts that this force depends on the distance stretched or compressed. Explore equations and calculations utilizing these two concepts in explaining elasticity.
3. Simple Harmonic Motion: Kinetic Energy & Potential Energy
Simple harmonic motion is a periodic, repetitive motion where force is equal to displacement. Explore how kinetic and potential energy go hand in hand with simple harmonic motion and how to calculate this motion with an example.
4. The Kinematics of Simple Harmonic Motion
Kinematics, the study of the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of objects in motion, involves simple harmonic motion whereby an equal and opposite force is applied to an object's motion. Learn the equations of this principle demonstrated in the case of a pendulum.
5. Spring-Block Oscillator: Vertical Motion, Frequency & Mass
A spring-block oscillator can help students understand simple harmonic motion. Learn more by exploring the vertical motion, frequency, and mass of a spring-block oscillator. Review the equations and work an example problem to gain more understanding.
6. Pendulums in Physics: Definition & Equations
At its simplest, a pendulum is a weight and a string, or structure, for the weight to hang from. Explore the definition of a pendulum in physics and use an example problem to learn the equations for describing a pendulum.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the GACE Physics (530) Prep course
- About the GACE Test
- GACE Physics: History & Nature of Science
- GACE Physics: Science & Society
- GACE Physics: Role in Daily Life & the Environment
- GACE Physics: Scientific Inquiry
- GACE Physics: Lab Safety Procedures & Hazards
- GACE Physics: Scientific Measurement & Data
- GACE Physics: Math for Physics
- GACE Physics: Properties of Matter
- GACE Physics: Kinematics
- GACE Physics: Force & the Laws of Motion
- GACE Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- GACE Physics: Principles of Fluids
- GACE Physics: Linear Momentum
- GACE Physics: Work & Energy
- GACE Physics: Equilibrium & Elasticity
- GACE Physics: Rotational Motion
- GACE Physics: Thermodynamics
- GACE Physics: Atoms
- GACE Physics: Modern & Nuclear Physics
- GACE Physics: Relativity
- GACE Physics: Electrostatics
- GACE Physics: Magnetism
- GACE Physics: Electric Circuits
- GACE Physics: Waves, Sound & Light
- GACE Physics: Wave Optics
- GACE Physics: Energy Production
- GACE Physics Flashcards