About This Chapter
Galaxies & the Universe - Chapter Summary
In this astronomy chapter, our expert instructors cover essential topics related to galaxies and the universe. These short and engaging video and text lessons can help you identify the characteristics of galaxies and study the different types of stars that occupy them. You'll also learn how to find the size of a star and get acquainted with the Big Bang and Contracting Universe theories. After completing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain what a galaxy is
- Identify the stars and center of the Milky Way Galaxy
- Differentiate star types by size, color and life cycle
- Summarize the life cycle of average stars and black holes
- Describe planetary nebulae
- Define astronomical units and light years
- Understand the theories related to the origins of the universe
These lessons offer a quick and efficient method for reviewing important astronomy topics. Lessons are generally less than ten minutes in length and included highlighted definitions and memorable examples. Self-assessment quizzes are available to take after you finish each lesson and you can print our lesson transcripts to supplement your study. If you need to review a concept that's unclear, you can easily find the topic using our interactive course Dashboard. To make the learning experience convenient, we've made the chapter accessible on any computer or mobile device and available at any time that fits your schedule.
1. Galaxy: Definition & Explanation
Galaxies are collections of stars, dust, and gas rotating around super massive black holes. This lesson will cover the structures and types of galaxies, including spiral, elliptical, and irregular galaxies.
2. The Milky Way Galaxy: Stars, Center & Pictures
Our galaxy, the Milky Way, is home to our sun, along with around 250 billion other stars. This lesson will cover the features of our galaxy and provide a quiz at the end to test your knowledge.
3. Types of Stars by Size, Color and Life Cycle
Learn to identify the different sizes and colors of stars and how they relate to the star life cycle. In this lesson, we'll talk about spectral classification, how many stars there are of each type and the approximate color of the different classes of stars.
4. Average Star: Definition & Life Cycle
Stars come in all sorts of colors and sizes, but many of them are actually quite similar. This lesson will shed some twinkling light on the characteristics and life cycle of the average sun-like star.
5. How to Find the Size of a Star
This lesson will tell you how astronomers figure out the size of stars. You'll learn it has to do with a star's temperature, luminosity, and a cool thing known as the H-R diagram.
6. What Are Planetary Nebulae?
This lesson will define something very cool and beautiful called a planetary nebula. You'll not only learn what it is but how it's formed, and why it produces all those amazing colors!
7. Life Cycle of Black Holes
Learn about black holes, their myths and their reality. Learn how black holes form after stars undergo supernovae and create singularities. Discover how big black holes grow, how scientists find black holes and where black holes are located in the universe.
8. Astronomical Units & Light Years: Definition & Examples
After watching this video, you will be able to explain why we need special astronomical ways of measuring distance. You will also be able to state the meaning of the terms astronomical unit, light year and parsec. A short quiz will follow.
9. Origins of the Universe: The Big Bang and Expanding & Contracting Universes
Students will learn the origins of the universe, the Big Bang theory, the timeline of the universe, how the universe is still expanding to this day, and what astronomers expect the universe to look like in the future.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 - Science Subject Concentration (5159): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Methodology
- Scientific Data Collection & Analysis
- Science Laboratory Equipment & Safety
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Basic Principles of Matter & Energy
- Relationships Between Matter & Energy
- Structure of an Atom
- Interdisciplinary Applications of Energy & Matter
- Impact of Science & Technology on the Environment
- Energy Production & Resource Use
- Science & Technology Used in Everyday Life
- Science & Public Health
- Mechanics in Physics
- Analyzing Motion & Forces
- Electricity & Magnetic Forces
- Wave Characteristics & Phenomena
- Light, Sound & Waves
- Elements & The Periodic Table
- Chemical Bonding & Simple Chemical Compounds
- Interpreting Chemical Formulas
- Matter & Phase Changes
- Balancing & Using Chemical Equations
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Understanding Solutions & Solubility
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Understanding Biochemistry
- Understanding Genetics
- Theory & Mechanisms of Evolution
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structure & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Basics of Ecology
- Earth's Surface Materials
- Earth's Internal Structure & Processes
- Geologic History
- Earth's Hydrosphere
- Earth's Bodies of Water
- Basics of Meteorology
- Earth's Climate & Seasons
- The Solar System & The Earth-Moon-Sun Relationship
- Space Exploration & Technology
- Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 - Science Subject Concentration Flashcards