About This Chapter
Gaming Industry Overview - Chapter Summary
For a high-level overview of the gaming industry, take a look at the lessons in this self-paced study guide. Our expert instructors help you review the history of the gambling industry in the U.S., casino operations and the lottery system. We've included plenty of self-assessment quizzes to help you check your understanding of the lesson material. Study at any time that fits your schedule and feel free to reach out to our instructors if you have any questions. After completing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Summarize the history of the gaming industry and understand how it generates revenue
- Trace the history of gambling in the U.S.
- Understand how modern casinos operate
- Know how the lottery works in terms of luck and probability
1. Revenue Generation in the Gaming Industry
If you've ever wondered how the gaming industry generates profit, then look no further than this lesson. You'll learn about the growth of the gaming industry and the strategies used to generate nearly $100 billion in revenue in 2016.
2. History of Gambling & Casinos in the U.S.
Gambling is a major pastime in the United States, and it's not without its own history. In this lesson, we'll explore the history of gambling and see how it has impacted America throughout the years.
3. Modern Casinos & Casino Operations
Modern day casinos are an amusement park of adult fun. Containing gambling, restaurants, and luxurious rooms, casinos have grown into a place for everyone to gamble.
4. Lotteries: Finding Expected Values of Games of Chance
Most of us won't have a problem with winning the lottery. But is it a realistic goal? Do you really have a chance? In this lesson, learn how luck and probability collide when finding expected values in games of chance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 101: Introduction to Hospitality course
- Hospitality Industry Overview
- Leadership & Management in the Hospitality Industry
- Key Management Functions in the Hospitality Industry
- Communication & Decision-Making in the Hospitality Industry
- Improving Service in the Hospitality Industry
- Planning & Organizing in the Hospitality Industry
- Control Systems & Issues in the Hospitality Industry
- Hotel Classifications & Operations
- Food, Beverage & Alcohol Operations
- Restaurant Organization & Operations Overview
- Tourism & Recreation
- Meetings, Conventions, Expositions & Special Events
- Studying for Hospitality 101