About This Chapter
Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions - Chapter Summary
This self-paced chapter can help you quickly and easily boost your knowledge of various gastrointestinal nursing actions. Explore lessons developed by top instructors to better understand an endoscopy, enteral nutrition, TPN therapy and much more. By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- List types and complications of feeding tubes
- Discuss nursing actions and protocols for different gastrointestinal procedures
- Explain how to manage adult patients who require gastrointestinal monitoring devices
- Describe the indications and patient management of gastrointestinal drains
- Define and discuss the guidelines for peripheral parenteral nutrition
- Share nursing actions and interventions to address barriers to fluid and nutritional adequacy
This chapter offers the flexibility you need to study gastrointestinal nursing actions your way. Access any lessons you desire, and feel free to navigate them in your sequence of choice. If you want to check your knowledge of the lessons you review, be sure to take their accompanying quizzes. Our practice exam makes it easy to assess your comprehension of this entire chapter, so you feel confident in your ability to excel on the day of your test.
1. What Is Endoscopy? - Definition, Procedure & Complications
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what an endoscopy is, describe the procedure and list the possible complications. A short quiz follows the lesson.
2. What is a Feeding Tube? - Types & Complications
In this lesson, you will learn about the function of feeding tubes. You will also become familiar with various types of tubes and how they are inserted, as well as identify the potential complications that could arise from having this device.
3. Gastrointestinal Procedures: Nursing Actions & Protocols
In this lesson, we will learn about nursing management of gastrointestinal procedures. We will discuss the nursing role before, during, and after the procedures.
4. Gastrointestinal Monitoring Devices: Indications & Patient Management
Several conditions raise the pressure in the abdomen, which can be fatal. This lesson will discuss the indications and patient management of gastrointestinal monitoring devices used to keep an eye on these conditions.
5. Gastrointestinal Drains: Indications & Patient Management
In this lesson, we will learn about different gastrointestinal drains that nurses may be responsible for caring for. We will learn when they are needed and how to manage them.
6. Enteral Nutrition: Definition & Guidelines
When a person is not able to eat or drink, they are given nutrition through a method called enteral nutrition, or tube feeding. In this lesson, we will discuss important considerations to keep in mind when a person is on the various types of tube feeding.
7. TPN Therapy & Treatment
This lesson will explain total parenteral nutrition (TPN) and discuss when this therapy is used. Learn to identify patients for whom TPN is appropriate, and common complications of the therapy.
8. Peripheral Parenteral Nutrition: Definition & Guidelines
Discover how patients receive nutritional fuel when they cannot eat properly. This lesson describes how to safely deliver liquid nutrition into veins.
9. Nursing Interventions for Barriers to Nutritional & Fluid Adequacy
In this lesson the various barriers to adequate nutrition and hydration are discussed as well as interventions and treatments that nurses can use to combat these issues.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing