About This Chapter
GED Math: Algebra Basics, Expressions & Polynomials - Chapter Summary
This chapter encompasses the kind of algebra basics you'll want to be prepared for entering the GED math exam, with a focus on mathematic expressions and polynomials. You'll review processes that involve converting numbers to scientific notation, finding the absolute value of a rational number, simplifying algebraic expressions, and more. By the end of the chapter, you can expect to have a clearer understanding of the following:
- Calculations involving signed numbers
- Exponents and roots
- Mathematic order of operations
- Expressing mathematic relationships
- Solving rational equations
- Differentiating between monomials and polynomials
- Solving problems and performing operations involving polynomials
- Determining when numerical expressions are undefined
The dashboard feature can help you stay organized as you go through the material, displaying your recent studying activity and progress through the chapter. While there you can also explore links to practice quizzes and additional courses recommended based on your studies.
1. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
2. Exponents & Roots: Definition & Examples
Exponents and roots are used to make numbers much larger or much smaller. In this lesson, we'll learn how to work with exponents and roots. We'll practice a variety of problems involving both, including examples involving negative numbers.
3. Converting Numbers to Scientific Notation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert any number you come across into scientific notation. You will also learn why scientific notation is used and where you are most likely to see it.
4. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
5. Finding the Absolute Value of a Rational Number
Watch this video lesson and you will learn how to deal with absolute values of simple numbers and more complex problems. Learn the order in which you should do calculations so that your answers are correct.
6. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
7. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
8. How to Solve a Rational Equation
A rational equation is one that contains fractions. Yes, we will be finding a common denominator that has 'x's. But no worries! Together we will use a process that will help us solve rational equations every time!
9. What Are Monomials & Polynomials?
Watch this video lesson to learn how coefficients and variables combine to form monomials and polynomials. You'll also find out how the exponent determines the degree of polynomials.
10. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
11. Dividing Polynomials with Long and Synthetic Division: Practice Problems
Let's look at some more polynomial division problems. We will use long division and synthetic division, but this time we will have a couple of more involved problems. So, get out some paper and a pencil and let's begin!
12. Factoring Polynomial Expressions
When it comes to factoring polynomials, there are several methods to choose from depending on what kind of polynomial you are looking at. Watch this video lesson to learn how to identify and use the appropriate method.
13. How to Determine When a Numerical Expression is Undefined
We get all kinds of problems in math. We sometimes get numerical expressions that are undefined. Watch this video lesson to learn what it means to be undefined and how to find when a numerical expression is undefined.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GED Math: Quantitative, Arithmetic & Algebraic Problem Solving course
- About the GED: Mathematical Reasoning
- GED Question Types
- GED Math: Number Sense & Problem Solving
- GED Math: Decimals & Fractions
- GED Math: Ratio, Proportion & Percent
- GED Math: Data, Probability & Statistics
- GED Math: Equations, Inequalities & Functions
- GED Math: Geometry
- GED Math: Problem Solving Flashcards