About This Chapter
GED Math: Decimals & Fractions - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter delve into the kind of content you'll want to well-versed in when taking on the decimals and fractions portion of the GED math test. You'll review several demonstrations of related mathematical actions to shore up your ability to work with these kind of problems. Topics covered include raising and reducing fractions, changing between decimals and fractions, and all of the following:
- Rounding and ordering decimals
- Solving problems involving decimals
- Types of fractions
- Shifting between improper fraction and mixed number form
- Working with fraction and mixed number arithmetic
- Comparing decimals, fractions and whole numbers within a number line
The dashboard feature provides a helpful way to stay organized throughout your studies. While there, you can take a quick look at your recent studying activities and chapter progress while checking out links to related content recommended specifically for you. If at any point you start feeling lost, you can always seek help from our professional instructors through the teacher or help tab.
1. Decimal Basics: Rounding, Ordering & Zeros
Working with decimals can feel daunting, but it doesn't have to be that way. In this lesson, we will learn how rounding, ordering and zeros work with those numbers that are to the right of the decimal point.
2. Performing Operations with Decimals
Decimals are used to represent parts of a whole and are very useful in many types of measurements and calculations. In this lesson, learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals.
3. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also learn to identify the different types of fractions.
4. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
5. How to Raise and Reduce Fractions
When working with fractions, you sometimes need to change your fraction to make it easier to work with. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can raise and reduce fractions to make your problem solving easier.
6. Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic
Adding whole numbers is one thing. But adding fractions and mixed numbers? That's not so simple. Or is it? In this lesson, we'll practice arithmetic with both fractions and mixed numbers.
7. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
In this video lesson, you will learn about the usefulness of knowing how to change quickly between decimals and fractions. You will also learn how changing from a decimal to a fraction is different than changing from a fraction to a decimal.
8. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GED Math: Quantitative, Arithmetic & Algebraic Problem Solving course
- About the GED: Mathematical Reasoning
- GED Question Types
- GED Math: Number Sense & Problem Solving
- GED Math: Ratio, Proportion & Percent
- GED Math: Data, Probability & Statistics
- GED Math: Algebra Basics, Expressions & Polynomials
- GED Math: Equations, Inequalities & Functions
- GED Math: Geometry
- GED Math: Problem Solving Flashcards