About This Chapter
GED Math: Decimals & Fractions - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter delve into the kind of content you'll want to well-versed in when taking on the decimals and fractions portion of the GED math test. You'll review several demonstrations of related mathematical actions to shore up your ability to work with these kind of problems. Topics covered include raising and reducing fractions, changing between decimals and fractions, and all of the following:
- Rounding and ordering decimals
- Solving problems involving decimals
- Types of fractions
- Shifting between improper fraction and mixed number form
- Working with fraction and mixed number arithmetic
- Comparing decimals, fractions and whole numbers within a number line
The dashboard feature provides a helpful way to stay organized throughout your studies. While there, you can take a quick look at your recent studying activities and chapter progress while checking out links to related content recommended specifically for you. If at any point you start feeling lost, you can always seek help from our professional instructors through the teacher or help tab.
1. Decimal Basics: Rounding, Ordering & Zeros
Learn the basics of working with decimals in math. Discover what decimals represent, how to round decimals up or down and how to order decimals. Explore these skills using several helpful examples.
2. Performing Operations with Decimals
Decimals are numbers with a whole portion and a fractional portion that are separated by a decimal point. Learn about performing operations with decimals and methods for adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing with decimals.
3. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
A fraction represents part of a whole expressed through a numerator and a denominator. Learn about the definition of fractions and explore different types of fractions such as proper and improper fractions, like and unlike fractions, and mixed numbers.
4. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
In mathematics, an improper fraction has a denominator that is smaller than its numerator, and a mixed number is composed of an integer paired with a proper fraction. Practice examples to learn how to change between the forms for improper fractions and mixed numbers. Understand when each form is appropriate and should be used over the alternate form.
5. How to Raise and Reduce Fractions
To raise a fraction, the same number is multiplied by the numerator and the denominator; to reduce a fraction, division by the same number is used. Learn how to raise and reduce fractions with examples.
6. Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic
In mathematics, arithmetic studies and manipulates numbers using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Learn how to use these operations on fractions and mixed numbers, and gain additional understanding by doing practice problems that use the operation of mixed number arithmetic.
7. Converting Decimals to Fractions (and Back)
In mathematics, decimals and fractions both represent numbers that are not whole. Learn how to convert decimals to fractions, as well as how to convert fractions to decimals. Work problems to gain more understanding.
8. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
A number line is a line constructed with numbers that are plotted in order and at regular intervals. Learn how to use a number line to compare decimals, fractions, and whole numbers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the GED Math: Quantitative, Arithmetic & Algebraic Problem Solving course
- About the GED: Mathematical Reasoning
- GED Question Types
- GED Math: Number Sense & Problem Solving
- GED Math: Ratio, Proportion & Percent
- GED Math: Data, Probability & Statistics
- GED Math: Algebra Basics, Expressions & Polynomials
- GED Math: Equations, Inequalities & Functions
- GED Math: Geometry
- GED Math: Problem Solving Flashcards