About This Chapter
GED Math: Geometry - Chapter Summary
This chapter focuses on the material you'll want to have down when tackling the geometry portion of the GED math exam. You'll review examples of geometrical operations while familiarizing yourself with related formulas and terms. Topics discussed in this chapter include:
- Perimeter and area
- Finding the area and circumference of a circle
- Determining the volume of shapes
- Formulas for measuring surface area
- Combined figures
- Reading and interpreting scale drawings
The practice quizzes that come with each lesson allow you to measure your comprehension of the content step-by-step. These quizzes are available to be taken as many times as you feel necessary and they can also be printed as worksheets to study with offline. And at the end of the chapter, you'll have the chance to test yourself on a more overall plane by means of a practice final exam.
1. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
2. What is Perimeter? - Definition & Formula
In mathematics, the perimeter is the distance around a two-dimensional shape. The formula for finding the perimeter of certain shapes will be discussed in this lesson, and there will be some examples to help you understand how to calculate the perimeter.
3. What is Area in Math? - Definition & Formula
Area is the size of a two-dimensional surface. This lesson will define area, give some of the most common formulas, and give examples of those formulas. A quiz at the end of the lesson will allow you to work out some area problems on your own.
4. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
5. Volumes of Shapes: Definition & Examples
Volume is defined as the 3-dimensional space enclosed by a boundary. In this lesson we will define volume, give some of the most common formulas and then work some example problems to become familiar with the formulas. There will be a quiz at the end of the lesson for practice.
6. What is Surface Area? - Definition & Formulas
In this lesson, you use general and specific formulas to learn how to find the surface area of three-dimensional shapes, such as cubes, prisms, spheres, cones and cylinders.
7. Combined Figures: Perimeter, Area, and Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can break up the shapes in a combined figure to easily find the perimeter, area, and volume of the whole figure.
8. How to Read and Interpret Scale Drawings
Watch this video lesson to learn how scale drawings and legends are used on maps and blueprints. Learn skills that will serve you well when traveling and when looking at the blueprints of a car.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GED Math: Quantitative, Arithmetic & Algebraic Problem Solving course
- About the GED: Mathematical Reasoning
- GED Question Types
- GED Math: Number Sense & Problem Solving
- GED Math: Decimals & Fractions
- GED Math: Ratio, Proportion & Percent
- GED Math: Data, Probability & Statistics
- GED Math: Algebra Basics, Expressions & Polynomials
- GED Math: Equations, Inequalities & Functions
- GED Math: Problem Solving Flashcards