About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other GED science work.
- Identify the nutrition & physical activity concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our GED science tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about nutrition & physical activity and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding fiber, simple and complex carbohydrates, proteins, mineral functions, nutritional choices, benefits of physical activity or any other nutrition & physical activity topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their nutrition & physical activity unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in GED science
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about nutrition & physical activity simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live GED science tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about nutrition & physical activity on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Describe our dietary needs for simple and complex carbohydrates.
- Understand why we need to consume insoluble and soluble fiber.
- Explain why proteins and amino acids are important.
- Discuss our requirements for different types of fats.
- List sources for vitamins we need.
- Learn the roles of minerals in our bodies.
- Describe methods for making healthy nutritional choices.
- Explain how regular physical activity is beneficial.
1. Simple & Complex Carbohydrates: Dietary Needs
This lesson will explore the many different kinds of carbohydrates found in food. You'll learn about monosaccharides, disaccharides, polysaccharides, and much more!
2. Insoluble and Soluble Fiber: Dietary Needs
If you didn't know this already, there are many different kinds and functions of fiber! You'll learn about what dietary, functional, total, soluble, and insoluble fiber is and how much you need each day and why.
3. Proteins & Amino Acids: Importance & Dietary Needs
Can protein become fat? How much protein do we need? What's the difference between an essential and a complete protein? You'll find out that and much more as we go over the nutritional aspects of proteins.
4. Saturated, Monounsaturated & Polyunsaturated Fat: Dietary Needs
Fat has been derided as being really bad for you despite serving many important functions. You'll learn about these functions and the different kinds of fat you may encounter as well as why a lot of fat can truly, in the end, be bad for you.
5. Vitamins We Need: Their Importance & Sources
There are a lot of different vitamins, and they come from many different places! This lesson will teach you about what they are, how many different kinds you need, what they do, and where you can obtain them naturally.
6. Minerals in Our Food: Functions in the Body & Food Sources
Minerals are important substances that help your body's form and function on many different levels. This lesson will go over some important ones, what they do, and where they are found in our diets.
7. Making Healthy Nutritional Choices: Habits, Behaviors & Resources
This lesson will help you see how easy it is to track what you eat and change your diet for the better. It will also provide you with additional information on where a wealth of information on healthy nutrition can be found.
8. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
9. Biological Fitness: Definition & Concept
In everyday life, the term 'fitness' is used in relation to exercise, diet, and overall well-being. In biology, it refers less to how healthy an individual is, and more to the number of babies he or she makes. Find out more in this lesson.
10. What is BMI? - Definition, Formula & Calculation
In this lesson, the term body mass index (BMI) will be defined, and we'll explore the formula to calculate a person's BMI. Several different examples can assist you in learning this concept. Finally, a few examples of how to use BMI in the health care world will be described.
11. What is Potassium? - Definition, Sources, Benefits & Side Effects
We need nutrients for our body to be healthy and to function well. One of the essential nutrients we need is potassium. Continue reading to find out where can we get potassium and why it is so essential to our bodies.
12. What Are Amino Acids? - Definition & Structure
Your body cannot function without proteins, and in order to build all these important proteins, your body needs amino acids. In this lesson, learn what amino acids are and what they look like. Then test your new knowledge with a short quiz.
13. What Are Trans Fats? - Definition, Sources & Examples
The majority of trans fats are artificial fats created by adding hydrogen to liquid vegetable oil to make it into a solid. Once found in many different foods, the use of trans fats has been drastically reduced. Learn more about these fats and take a quiz at the end.
14. What is Fatty Acid? - Composition & Structure
Fatty acids are key components of triglycerides, which we use to store energy in our bodies. This lesson discusses the important characteristics of these acids in the human body.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GED Science: Tutoring Solution course
- GED Science - Scientific Foundations and Study Skills: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Atoms, Elements, and the Periodic Table: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Compounds and Chemical Bonds: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Chemical Reactions, Acids, and Bases: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Nuclear Energy: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Energy and Heat: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Mechanics: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Sound and Light Waves: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Electricity: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Magnetism: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Biomolecules: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Cell Biology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Cell Cycle and Cell Division: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Cellular Respiration and Photosynthesis: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Classification of Organisms: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Genetics and Evolution: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Animal Reproduction and Development: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Anatomy & Physiology of Reproductive Systems: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Health Issues and Concerns: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Ecology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Animal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Genetic Engineering Basics: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Earth Science & Geology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Minerals and Rocks: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Plate Tectonics & Continental Drift: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Oceanography: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Astronomy: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Meteorology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Weather and Storms: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Atmosphere: Tutoring Solution