About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering GED science material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn GED science. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the structure and components of the atmosphere
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about the atmosphere
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the atmosphere chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the atmosphere chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any atmosphere question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an atmosphere unit of a standard GED science course. Topics covered include:
- Solar radiation
- Mechanisms of heat transfer
- Cloud formation
- Air lift processes
- Climate classifications and global distribution
- Greenhouse gases and the greenhouse effect
1. Major Components of the Atmosphere
Our atmosphere is a complex mixture of many different gases. In this video lesson you will identify the major components of Earth's atmosphere as well as how much there is of each.
2. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
3. What is Solar Radiation? - Definition & Effects
The sun plays an important role to us on Earth. It provides many things such as light and warmth. But, what is solar radiation and how does it affect us? In this video lesson, you'll learn about solar radiation, how it allows us to survive, and the influence it has on our global climate.
4. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
5. What is Humidity? - Definition, Measurements & Effects
Humidity is an important aspect of the atmosphere because it affects both weather and climate. In this video lesson you will learn about the different types of humidity and understand how temperature affects water vapor in the air.
6. What is Cloud Formation? - Definition, Types & Process
There are many different types of clouds that form in the sky. In this video lesson you will learn about how clouds form, as well as the different types of clouds and how they are classified.
7. Air Lift: Definition & Processes
In this video lesson, you will learn about air lift. You will also identify the different ways air is lifted, as well as some of the effects each mechanism has.
8. What is Precipitation? - Definition, Types & Formation
Precipitation comes in many forms, but it all comes from the same general process. In this video lesson you will identify different types of precipitation, as well as how precipitation forms in the atmosphere from condensation.
9. Climate Classifications & Their Global Distribution
Earth has many climates, but we can categorize them based on common characteristics. In this video lesson you will identify the 5 major climate classifications on Earth, as well as where on Earth these climates are found.
10. Greenhouse Gases and the Enhanced Greenhouse Effect
In this video lesson, you will learn about the five main greenhouse gases and how their unnaturally high concentrations are leading to the enhanced greenhouse effect and global climate change on Earth.
11. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about the sources and types of air pollution. You will be able to identify the six classes of air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act of 1970.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GED Science: Help and Review course
- Scientific Study Skills and Foundations: Help and Review
- The Periodic Table, Atoms and Elements: Help and Review
- GED Science - Compounds and Chemical Bonds: Help and Review
- GED Science - Chemical Reactions, Acids, and Bases: Help and Review
- GED Science - Nuclear Energy: Help and Review
- GED Science - Energy and Heat: Help and Review
- GED Science - Mechanics: Help and Review
- GED Science - Sound and Light Waves: Help and Review
- GED Science - Electricity: Help and Review
- GED Science - Magnetism: Help and Review
- GED Science - Biomolecules: Help and Review
- GED Science - Cell Biology: Help and Review
- GED Science - The Cell Cycle and Cell Division: Help and Review
- Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration: Help & Review
- GED Science - Classification of Organisms: Help and Review
- GED Science - Genetics and Evolution: Help and Review
- GED Science - Animal Reproduction and Development: Help and Review
- GED Science - The Reproductive System: Help and Review
- GED Science Organ Systems: Help and Review
- GED - Endocrine, Immune & Nervous Systems: Help & Review
- GED Science - Health Issues and Concerns: Help and Review
- GED Science - Nutrition & Physical Activity: Help and Review
- GED Science - Ecology: Help and Review
- GED Science - Animal Behavior: Help and Review
- GED Science - Genetic Engineering Basics: Help and Review
- GED Science - Earth Science and Geology: Help and Review
- GED Science - Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure: Help and Review
- GED Science - Minerals and Rocks: Help and Review
- GED Science - Plate Tectonics & Continental Drift: Help and Review
- GED Science - Oceanography: Help and Review
- GED Science - Astronomy: Help and Review
- GED Science - Meteorology: Help and Review
- GED Science - Weather and Storms: Help and Review
- GED Science - Cellular Respiration & Photosynthesis: Help and Review