About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering issues surrounding gender, age and multiculturalism in therapy will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn the concepts. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding multicultural counseling
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning group counseling strategies (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about ageism and other considerations
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra group counseling learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Gender, Age and Multicultural Issues in Group Therapy chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Gender, Age and Multicultural Issues in Group Therapy chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any questions you have about the material. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts covered in a gender, age and multicultural issues unit of a standard group counseling strategies course. Topics covered include:
- Gender issues in group counseling
- Strategies for engaging LGBT participants in group therapy
- Issues surrounding age and ageism
- Multicultural counseling
- Strategies for dealing with diverse therapy participants
1. Counseling Across Gender
How does gender impact counseling? Should counselors approach clients of different genders differently? In this lesson, we'll look at some of the challenges with regards to counseling across gender lines and the impact of gender roles on mental health.
2. What is Multicultural Counseling?
Multicultural awareness is very important in counseling. This lesson will tell you what multicultural counseling involves and how to be an effective multicultural counselor. We'll follow a school counselor as he prepares himself for a new role with culturally diverse students.
3. Counseling Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered People
In many ways, counseling LGBT clients is just like counseling straight clients. But in other ways, LGBT clients face specific challenges that straight clients might not face. In this lesson, we'll look at how to counsel LGBT clients.
4. Counseling Aged Populations
Older adults are the same as everyone else in some ways, and very different in other ways. In this lesson, we'll take a look at how the unique and general challenges of late adulthood impact counseling sessions.
5. Gender Schema Theory: Definition & Explanation
Gender schema theory suggests that young children are influenced by society's ideas about what it means to be a male or female in their culture. Learn about gender schema theory, gender schemas, and how they influence childhood development in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.