About This Chapter
Gene Mutations - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll explore various gene mutations and examine the effects they have on our bodies. You'll also review how mutations occur. By the end of this chapter, you'll have studied:
- Errors in DNA replication
- How various mutations affect DNA and protein function
- Mutagens and cancer at the genome level
- Point mutations in DNA
- Effects of frameshift mutations
We strive to maintain an effective and enjoyable learning experience. For these lessons, our instructors have developed fun, informative videos to help illustrate the material. You can take a quiz after each lesson to apply what you've learned. If you need to return to a particular portion of the lesson, utilize the timeline below each video for easy navigation. After completing all of the lessons, take a cumulative chapter exam to see how well you've retained the information.
1. Mutations: When DNA Is Copied Wrong
In this lesson, we will learn how mutations, or errors in DNA, come about, what kinds of effects they may have, and how they can impact populations as a whole.
2. What is a Point Mutation? - Definition, Causes & Types
What are genetic mutations? How do they affect our DNA? This lesson covers the basics of point mutations and provides simple examples of different mutation types.
3. Effects of Mutations on Protein Function: Missense, Nonsense, and Silent Mutations
How does a tiny point mutation change the way a protein works? What are the consequences of base substitutions? In this lesson, we'll use an imaginary creature to explore missense, nonsense and silent mutations.
4. Mutagens: How the Environment Affects Mutation Rates
What causes mutations to occur in living things? How do we avoid mutations? Are mutations always bad? Discover answers to these questions and more in this lesson on mutagens.
5. Effects of Frameshift Mutations: Definitions and Examples
What is a frameshift in genetic translation? How can a frameshift mutation change a protein? In this lesson, learn about the codon reading frame and how frameshift mutations cause serious problems for polypeptide formation.
6. Point Mutations in DNA: Types, Diseases & Examples
Did you know that very small changes in DNA sequences called point mutations can have huge impacts on the body? Learn about different types of point mutations and a few of the diseases they can cause in this lesson.
7. Cancer at the Level of the Genome
This lesson will delve into the genetic changes that may occur during cancer formation. You'll learn about proto-oncogenes, oncogenes, tumor suppressor genes, viral oncogenesis, p53, and more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Biology: Test Prep & Practice course
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry
- Intro to Cell Biology
- Prokaryotic & Eukaryotic Cells
- Virus Structure & Life Cycle
- How Enzymes Work
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Cell Communication
- Basics of Metabolic Biochemistry
- Overview of Cell Division
- Basics of DNA & RNA
- Process of DNA Replication
- The Transcription and Translation Process
- Plant Biology
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Physiology I: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- Animal Reproduction and Development
- Heredity and Genetics
- DNA and Technology
- The Origin and History of Life On Earth
- The Theory of Evolution
- Natural and Artificial Selection
- Population Evolution
- Organism Classification & Phylogenesis
- Ecological Systems and the Environment
- Ecological Relationships and Species Populations
- Humans and the Environment
- Lab Safety Equipment and Procedures
- Methods of Scientific Research
- Analyzing and Interpreting Scientific Data
- Famous Biologists and Their Impact on Society
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Biology Flashcards