About This Chapter
General English and Literature - Chapter Summary
Get an introduction to or gain mastery in a variety of English and literature topics through the lessons in this chapter. Each lesson contains a table of contents to help you navigate to different sections of the lesson, an FAQ section for you to explore answers to common questions, and a quiz so you can solidify what you've learned. Enjoy a wide variety of lessons for you to learn from, including lessons in the following topic areas:
- Elements of English and literature
- Sentence structure
- English grammar and its applications
- Finding errors in sentences
- Writing skills in literature
1. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery | Summary & Characters
Explore The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Study the summary, review the characters, and examine the writing style and themes of the book.
2. Quotation Marks Overview & Rules | How to Use Quotation Marks
Read about the correct use of quotation marks. Learn when to use quotation marks, punctuation placement, capitalization, and single quotation marks vs. double.
3. Picaresque Genre & Examples | What are Picaresque Novels?
Learn about picaresque novels. Explore the definition of picaresque, review the genre's origin, study the features, and find early and modern picaresque examples.
4. Amphitrite, Goddess of the Sea: Myths & Symbolism | Who is Amphitrite?
Read about Amphitrite. Learn about how she became wife to Poseidon, God of the sea, making her the Greek Goddess of the sea, and learn other facts about her life.
5. Publius Ovidius Naso Biography, Poems & Other Works | Who was Ovid?
Discover the Metamorphoses author and poet Ovid or Publius Ovidius Naso. Study a biography of Ovid and learn about his works which include many books and poems.
6. Sturm und Drang Literary Movement | What is Sturm und Drang?
Learn about the Sturm und Drang Literary Movement in Germany. Discover how Sturm und Drang, "storm and stress", impacted German literature, music, and visual arts.
7. Essay Writing Topics | How to Choose Topics for Essay Writing
Learn about essay writing topics and ideas for composition. Discover the appropriate topics that can sustain essays for middle school, high school, and college.
8. English Idiomatic Expression Lists & Examples | What is an Idiom?
Learn about idiomatic expressions in English and how they are used. Explore common idiom examples, including American Idioms, as well as various idiom meanings.
9. Qualifiers in Grammar: Rules & Examples | What is Qualifier?
Learn what a qualifier is in grammar. See a list of qualifier words, study some qualifiers in writing through qualifier examples, and explore strategies to use them.
10. Thomas Wolfe Books & Biography | Who was Thomas Wolfe?
Learn about Thomas Wolfe's life and work. Discover this famous American author of such classic novels as ''Look Homeward, Angel'' and ''You Can't Go Home Again.''
11. Audre Lorde Poems, Books & Life | Who was Audre Lorde?
Learn about Audre Lorde and her poems and career in the literary arts. Discover the books of Lorde and how she became a prominent African-American artist.
12. Solomon Northup Biography, Facts & Books | Who was Solomon Northup?
Learn about Solomon Northup. Explore the biography of Solomon Northup, review his significance, study his Twelve Years a Slave, and find details about his death.
13. Quintus Horatius Flaccus Biography, Books & Poems | Who was Horace?
Learn about Quintus Horatius Flaccus and his biography and works. Discover the books and poems of Horace, as he is commonly known, and his legacy in literature.
14. Corrie ten Boom Biography, Books & Quotes | Who was Corrie ten Boom?
Learn about Corrie ten Boom through a biography of her life and times. Discover this remarkable woman who helped to save Jews from the Nazi regime during WWII.
15. Reading Response Examples & Overview | How to Write a Reading Response
Learn what a reading response is and understand its purpose. Explore the steps on how to write a reading response paper and study a reading response example.
16. Classic Russian Literature | Characteristics, Books & Authors
Learn about classic Russian literature. Explore the history of Russian literature, discover its characteristics, and review the famous Russian authors and books.
17. Phonetic Overview & Examples | What Does Phonetic Mean?
Study the phonetics branch of linguistics. Learn the definition of phonetics and how the International Phonetic Alphabet represents spoken sound in text.
18. Reading Comprehension Strategies & Skills | What are Reading Strategies?
Learn about several comprehension strategies for reading and understand how they can assist one's comprehension. Read about how to improve reading comprehension.
19. Dialogic Communication Theory & Examples | What is Dialogic Communication?
Learn the definition of dialogic communication. Explore dialogue vs. monologue, study the principles of the dialogic theory of public speaking, and review examples.
20. English Participle Uses & Examples | What is a Participle Phrase?
Learn about participles. Understand what a participle is, identify the different participle phrases, and review examples of participles and participle phrases.
21. Classical Literature: Facts & Books | What is Classical Literature?
Explore classical literature. Learn the features of ancient literature, study classical vs. classic literature, and view a list of classic and classical books.
22. Writing an Analytical Essay: Steps & Examples | What is an Analysis Essay?
Read about analytical writing. Learn what an analysis essay is, the purpose and characteristics of an analytical essay, and the types of analysis essays.
23. Rhyme Types, Purpose & Examples | What is Rhyme in Poetry?
Learn about rhymes in poetry. Explore the definition of a rhyme, understand the purpose of rhyming words, study the different forms of rhymes, and review examples.
24. Persona Types & Examples | What is a Persona in Literature?
Learn about personas in literature. Study the definition of a persona, explore character personas in literary works, and view examples from plays, poetry, and prose.
25. Dialect Types & Examples | What is Dialect in Literature?
Learn about dialects in literature. Explore the definition and significance of dialects in literary works, study the different types, and review examples.
26. Contrast Uses, Effects & Examples | What is Contrast in Literature?
Learn the definition of contrast in literature. Explore its purpose and effect in literary works, study the different types of contrast, and review examples.
27. Writing Mechanics & Grammar in English | Rules, Skills & Examples
Learn the definition of writing mechanics and the importance of grammar and mechanics. Study the rules of writing mechanics, such as capitalization and spelling.
28. Writing Metaphors: Techniques & Examples | How to Write a Metaphor
Read about metaphors. Learn what a metaphor is, learn about the different types of metaphors, and learn how to write a metaphor by looking at a few examples.
29. Speaker in Poetry: Analysis & Examples | How to Identify the Speaker in a Poem
Read about the speaker in poetry. Explore the literary definition of the speaker, learn how to identify the speaker of a poem, and review examples from literature.
30. American Literary Periods & Movements | What is American Literature?
Discover the movements in American literature. Learn about the various American literary movements, study the list of famous American authors, and view the timeline.
31. British vs. American English | Differences, Lists & Examples
Learn about British and American English and see how the two differ. Compare British English vs. American English words and study various sentence examples.
32. 19th Century Literature | Books & Authors from the 1800s
Discover the characteristics and topics of 19th-century literature. Learn about the most prominent 19th-century authors and their most famous books from the 1800s.
33. Generative Grammar Overview & Principles | What is Generative Grammar?
Explore the principles of generative grammar. Learn the definition of generative grammar and understand how it differs from prescriptive grammar through examples.
34. British vs. American English | Overview, Differences & Causes
Explore the history of the English Language. Learn about how British English differs from American English and view a list of British vs. American words.
35. Travel Writing Purpose & Examples | What is Travel Writing?
Learn about the development of and purpose of travel writing. Read about different types of travel writing and discover examples of travel narratives.
36. Clustering in Writing: Overview & Examples | What is Clustering?
Explore clustering in writing. Learn the definition of clustering and understand its importance. Discover various examples of clustering in prewriting.
37. Substantives in Grammar Overview & Examples | What is a Substantive?
Read about substantives in grammar. Study the definition of a substantive, examine its uses as a noun or noun phrase, and view examples of substantives in sentences.
38. Character Sketch: Overview & Examples | What is a Character Sketch?
Understand what a character sketch is. Learn how to write a character sketch, discover its main elements, and review the various character sketch examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the General English and Literature Lessons course