About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering human growth and development material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn about human growth and development. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the relationship between genetics and our physical or cognitive development
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning social science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about genetic influences on development
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra social science learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Genetic Influences on Development chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Genetic Influences on Development chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any genetic influences on development question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a genetic influences on development unit of a standard human growth and development course. Topics covered include:
- Causes of alterations in the genetic code
- The influence of single gene-pair inheritance on development
- The influence of sex-linked and polygenic inheritance on development
- Genetic abnormalities in human growth and development
- Genes' influence on intellectual ability
- DNA's influence on temperament
- Genetic influences on psychological disorders
1. The Genetic Code: Influence of Mitosis, Meiosis & Crossing Over
In this lesson, we will learn what the genetic code is and how it can be affected by mitosis, meiosis and crossing over. When mistakes are made and genes are altered, it can have a negative impact on human development.
2. Determination of Sex and Identical vs. Fraternal Twins
Have you ever heard an old wives' tale about what determines whether a child will be a boy or a girl or what causes twins to be born? In this lesson, we will explore the biology behind these myths on how sex is determined and how twins are created.
3. The Influence of Single Gene-Pair Inheritance on Development
What is single gene-pair inheritance? What influence does it have on human development? Learn the answers to these questions as we explore this area of genetic inheritance in this video lesson.
4. The Influence of Sex-Linked and Polygenic Inheritance on Development
What is sex-linked inheritance? What influence does it have on human development? What does it mean if a trait is polygenic? Learn the answers to these questions as this lesson explores this area of genetic inheritance.
5. Genetic Abnormalities in Human Growth and Development
What are mutations and other chromosome abnormalities? How can these abnormalities affect human development? What are some common genetic disorders and their causes? Learn the answers to these questions in this lesson.
6. Is Intelligence Genetic? - Genes' Influence on Intellectual Abilities
What is the role of heritability in determining our intellectual abilities? Is intelligence genetic? Explore what part our genes play and find answers to these questions in the following lesson.
7. Is Personality Genetic? - DNA's Influence on Temperament
How do genetics impact a person's temperament and personality? This lesson will introduce the world of behavioral genetics and help you understand the role our genes play in determining who we are and how we act.
8. Genetic Influence on Psychological Disorders
Do genetics play a role in psychological disorders such as schizophrenia? What do we know about any genetic links? Does environment matter? Find the answers to these questions and more in this video lesson.
9. Epigenesis: Definition & Concept
Epigenesis is a change in genetic expression as a result of environmental influences. This lesson will explore epigenetics and will end with a quiz that you can use to test your new found knowledge on the subject.
10. Point Prevalence: Definition & Study
In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of point prevalence and be given examples to further aid your understanding. You will explore reasons for doing prevalence studies, see example studies, and be able to test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Human Growth and Development: Help and Review course
- Human Growth & Development Theoretical Approaches: Help & Review
- Human Growth & Development Research Methods: Help & Review
- Biological Development: Help and Review
- Sensory and Perceptual Development: Help and Review
- Cognition and Cognitive Development: Help and Review
- Creativity and Intelligence Development: Help and Review
- Language Development: Help and Review
- Social Development: Help and Review
- Social Relationship Development: Help and Review
- Atypical Development: Help and Review