About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Genetic Influences on Development chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday|| The Genetic Code: Influence of Mitosis, Meiosis and Crossing Over; |
Determination of Sex and Identical vs. Fraternal Twins;
The Influence of Single-Gene Pair Inheritance on Development
| A look at the proteins produced by various genes; |
The factors that determine the sex of twins;
An explanation of the ways in which humans inherit characteristics from their parents
|Tuesday|| The Influence of Sex-Linked and Polygenic Inheritance on Development; |
Genetic Abnormalities in Human Growth and Development
| Examining the differences between sex-linked inheritance and polygenic inheritance; |
The causes of sex-linked and autosomal abnormalities in human beings
|Wednesday||Is Intelligence Genetic? Genes' Influence on Intellectual Abilities||The role of genetics on human intelligence|
|Thursday||Is Personality Genetic? DNA's Influence on Temperament||A look at whether or not personality is inherited|
|Friday||Genetic Influence on Psychological Disorders||The link between genetics and disorders such as anorexia and schizophrenia|
1. The Genetic Code: Influence of Mitosis, Meiosis & Crossing Over
In this lesson, we will learn what the genetic code is and how it can be affected by mitosis, meiosis and crossing over. When mistakes are made and genes are altered, it can have a negative impact on human development.
2. Determination of Sex and Identical vs. Fraternal Twins
Have you ever heard an old wives' tale about what determines whether a child will be a boy or a girl or what causes twins to be born? In this lesson, we will explore the biology behind these myths on how sex is determined and how twins are created.
3. The Influence of Single Gene-Pair Inheritance on Development
What is single gene-pair inheritance? What influence does it have on human development? Learn the answers to these questions as we explore this area of genetic inheritance in this video lesson.
4. The Influence of Sex-Linked and Polygenic Inheritance on Development
What is sex-linked inheritance? What influence does it have on human development? What does it mean if a trait is polygenic? Learn the answers to these questions as this lesson explores this area of genetic inheritance.
5. Genetic Abnormalities in Human Growth and Development
What are mutations and other chromosome abnormalities? How can these abnormalities affect human development? What are some common genetic disorders and their causes? Learn the answers to these questions in this lesson.
6. Is Intelligence Genetic? - Genes' Influence on Intellectual Abilities
What is the role of heritability in determining our intellectual abilities? Is intelligence genetic? Explore what part our genes play and find answers to these questions in the following lesson.
7. Is Personality Genetic? - DNA's Influence on Temperament
How do genetics impact a person's temperament and personality? This lesson will introduce the world of behavioral genetics and help you understand the role our genes play in determining who we are and how we act.
8. Genetic Influence on Psychological Disorders
Do genetics play a role in psychological disorders such as schizophrenia? What do we know about any genetic links? Does environment matter? Find the answers to these questions and more in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Human Growth & Development Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development Lesson Plans
- Research Methods and the Study of Human Growth and Development Lesson Plans
- Biological Development Lesson Plans
- Sensory and Perceptual Development Lesson Plans
- Cognition and Cognitive Development Lesson Plans
- Creativity and Intelligence Development Lesson Plans
- Language Development Lesson Plans
- Social Development Lesson Plans
- Social Relationship Development Lesson Plans
- Atypical Development Lesson Plans