About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other human growth and development work.
- Identify the genetic influences on development concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Human Growth and Development Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about genetic influences on development and earn better grades. This resource can help students, including those who:
- Struggle with understanding single-gene inheritance, sex-linked inheritance, genetic abnormalities or any other genetic influences on development topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their social science learning
- Prefer learning social science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their genetic influences on development unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in their human growth and development course
- Don't have access to their social science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about genetic influences on development simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about genetic influences on development on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and re-watch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discuss the genetic code.
- Understand the difference between identical and fraternal twins.
- Explain how single gene-pair inheritance influences development.
- Learn how sex-linked and polygenic inheritance influence development.
- Explore different types of genetic abnormalities in human growth and development.
- Understand how genes influence intelligence.
- Describe the influence of genes on personality.
- Examine the relationship between genes and psychological disorders.
1. The Genetic Code: Influence of Mitosis, Meiosis & Crossing Over
In this lesson, we will learn what the genetic code is and how it can be affected by mitosis, meiosis and crossing over. When mistakes are made and genes are altered, it can have a negative impact on human development.
2. Determination of Sex and Identical vs. Fraternal Twins
Have you ever heard an old wives' tale about what determines whether a child will be a boy or a girl or what causes twins to be born? In this lesson, we will explore the biology behind these myths on how sex is determined and how twins are created.
3. The Influence of Single Gene-Pair Inheritance on Development
What is single gene-pair inheritance? What influence does it have on human development? Learn the answers to these questions as we explore this area of genetic inheritance in this video lesson.
4. The Influence of Sex-Linked and Polygenic Inheritance on Development
What is sex-linked inheritance? What influence does it have on human development? What does it mean if a trait is polygenic? Learn the answers to these questions as this lesson explores this area of genetic inheritance.
5. Genetic Abnormalities in Human Growth and Development
What are mutations and other chromosome abnormalities? How can these abnormalities affect human development? What are some common genetic disorders and their causes? Learn the answers to these questions in this lesson.
6. Is Intelligence Genetic? - Genes' Influence on Intellectual Abilities
What is the role of heritability in determining our intellectual abilities? Is intelligence genetic? Explore what part our genes play and find answers to these questions in the following lesson.
7. Is Personality Genetic? - DNA's Influence on Temperament
How do genetics impact a person's temperament and personality? This lesson will introduce the world of behavioral genetics and help you understand the role our genes play in determining who we are and how we act.
8. Genetic Influence on Psychological Disorders
Do genetics play a role in psychological disorders such as schizophrenia? What do we know about any genetic links? Does environment matter? Find the answers to these questions and more in this video lesson.
9. Linked Genes: Definition & Examples
Gene linkage is one of those things that can turn even the simplest genetic question into a complex mess. This lesson will teach you what a linked gene is and take you through some solid examples.
10. Charles Darwin's Contribution to Psychology
Charles Darwin made immense contributions to the field of psychology. Learn about Darwin in this lesson, as well as the revolutionary impact he had on psychological research, theory, and practice.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Human Growth and Development: Tutoring Solution course
- Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development: Tutoring Solution
- Human Growth & Development Research Methods: Tutoring Solution
- Biological Development: Tutoring Solution
- Sensory and Perceptual Development: Tutoring Solution
- Cognition and Cognitive Development: Tutoring Solution
- Creativity and Intelligence Development: Tutoring Solution
- Language Development: Tutoring Solution
- Social Development: Tutoring Solution
- Social Relationship Development: Tutoring Solution
- Atypical Development: Tutoring Solution