About This Chapter
Genetic Influences on Psychological Development - Chapter Summary
Watch fun videos you can access at home or on-the-go to learn more about genetic influences on psychological development. Developed by top instructors, these lessons help you fully comprehend the genetic code, genetic abnormalities, how sex is determined and much more. Completing this chapter ensures you can do the following:
- Define the genetic code and discuss the influence of mitosis, meiosis and crossing over
- Explain the determination of sex and how it differs in identical and fraternal twins
- Detail the influence of single gene-pair, polygenic and sex-linked inheritance on development
- List genetic abnormalities in human growth and development
- Discuss the possibility of intelligence and personality being genetic
- Provide details about genetic influence on psychological disorders
Access the lessons in this chapter in your format of choice: videos or full transcripts. Videos average about 8 minutes each and feature visual effects that make your study of genetic influences on psychological development fun and engaging. Full transcripts allow you to read the lessons online or print and review them while away from your computer. Before or after reviewing the lessons, feel free to test your knowledge of the concepts they cover by taking short quizzes and a practice exam.
1. The Genetic Code: Influence of Mitosis, Meiosis & Crossing Over
In this lesson, we will learn what the genetic code is and how it can be affected by mitosis, meiosis and crossing over. When mistakes are made and genes are altered, it can have a negative impact on human development.
2. Determination of Sex and Identical vs. Fraternal Twins
Have you ever heard an old wives' tale about what determines whether a child will be a boy or a girl or what causes twins to be born? In this lesson, we will explore the biology behind these myths on how sex is determined and how twins are created.
3. The Influence of Single Gene-Pair Inheritance on Development
What is single gene-pair inheritance? What influence does it have on human development? Learn the answers to these questions as we explore this area of genetic inheritance in this video lesson.
4. The Influence of Sex-Linked and Polygenic Inheritance on Development
What is sex-linked inheritance? What influence does it have on human development? What does it mean if a trait is polygenic? Learn the answers to these questions as this lesson explores this area of genetic inheritance.
5. Genetic Abnormalities in Human Growth and Development
What are mutations and other chromosome abnormalities? How can these abnormalities affect human development? What are some common genetic disorders and their causes? Learn the answers to these questions in this lesson.
6. Is Intelligence Genetic? - Genes' Influence on Intellectual Abilities
What is the role of heritability in determining our intellectual abilities? Is intelligence genetic? Explore what part our genes play and find answers to these questions in the following lesson.
7. Is Personality Genetic? - DNA's Influence on Temperament
How do genetics impact a person's temperament and personality? This lesson will introduce the world of behavioral genetics and help you understand the role our genes play in determining who we are and how we act.
8. Genetic Influence on Psychological Disorders
Do genetics play a role in psychological disorders such as schizophrenia? What do we know about any genetic links? Does environment matter? Find the answers to these questions and more in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Psychology (5391): Practice & Study Guide course
- Theories on Human Growth & Development
- Prenatal Development and Birth
- Physical and Motor Development
- Development of Sense & Perception
- Overview of Cognitive Development
- Creativity, Intelligence & Language
- Social Development Through the Lifespan
- Aging, Death & Dying
- Atypical Development in Humans
- Social Psychology Fundamentals
- Elements of Social Psychology
- Psychological Health & Disorders
- Methods of Psychological Treatment
- Sleep & Other States of Consciousness
- Learning & Psychology
- Motivation & Emotion in Psychology
- Biology & Behavior in Psychology
- Senses & Perception
- Research Methodology and Statistics
- Personality Components & Assessment
- Praxis Psychology Flashcards