About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering college biology material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn college biology. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the causes and effects of different genetic mutation types
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about genetic mutations
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Genetic Mutations chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Genetic Mutations chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any genetic mutations question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn answers to questions including:
- What effect do deletions, insertions and point mutations have on DNA?
- How do mutations affect protein function?
- What are frameshift mutations?
- How does the environment impact mutation rates?
1. What is a Point Mutation? - Definition, Causes & Types
What are genetic mutations? How do they affect our DNA? This lesson covers the basics of point mutations and provides simple examples of different mutation types.
2. Effects of Mutations on Protein Function: Missense, Nonsense, and Silent Mutations
How does a tiny point mutation change the way a protein works? What are the consequences of base substitutions? In this lesson, we'll use an imaginary creature to explore missense, nonsense and silent mutations.
3. Effects of Frameshift Mutations: Definitions and Examples
What is a frameshift in genetic translation? How can a frameshift mutation change a protein? In this lesson, learn about the codon reading frame and how frameshift mutations cause serious problems for polypeptide formation.
4. Mutagens: How the Environment Affects Mutation Rates
What causes mutations to occur in living things? How do we avoid mutations? Are mutations always bad? Discover answers to these questions and more in this lesson on mutagens.
5. What Is Albinism? - Definition, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
What is albinism? Learn its causes, its symptoms, and the available treatments for those who are affected by it. Dispel common myths and learn the truths of a condition that affects approximately one in 17,000 people in the United States.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Biology: Help and Review course
- Science Basics: Help and Review
- Review of Inorganic Chemistry For Biologists: Help and Review
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry: Help and Review
- Nucleic Acids - DNA and RNA: Help and Review
- Enzymatic Biochemistry: Help and Review
- Cell Biology: Help and Review
- DNA Replication - Processes and Steps: Help and Review
- The Transcription and Translation Process: Help and Review
- Metabolic Biochemistry: Help and Review
- Cell Division: Help and Review
- Plant Biology: Help and Review
- Plant Reproduction and Growth: Help and Review
- Physiology I - The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems: Help and Review
- Physiology II - The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems: Help and Review
- Animal Reproduction and Development: Help and Review
- Genetics - Principles of Heredity: Help and Review
- Principles of Ecology: Help and Review
- Principles of Evolution: Help and Review
- The Origin and History of Life On Earth: Help and Review
- Phylogeny and the Classification of Organisms: Help and Review
- Social Biology: Help and Review
- Basic Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques: Help and Review
- Analyzing Scientific Data: Help and Review
- Microbiology Overview