About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your genetic mutations homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample questions and get instant feedback.
- Finish your genetics mutations homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Effects on DNA of point mutations, insertions and deletions
- Missense, nonsense and silent mutations
- Effects of frameshift mutations
1. What is a Point Mutation? - Definition, Causes & Types
What are genetic mutations? How do they affect our DNA? This lesson covers the basics of point mutations and provides simple examples of different mutation types.
2. Effects of Mutations on Protein Function: Missense, Nonsense, and Silent Mutations
How does a tiny point mutation change the way a protein works? What are the consequences of base substitutions? In this lesson, we'll use an imaginary creature to explore missense, nonsense and silent mutations.
3. Mutagens: How the Environment Affects Mutation Rates
What causes mutations to occur in living things? How do we avoid mutations? Are mutations always bad? Discover answers to these questions and more in this lesson on mutagens.
4. Effects of Frameshift Mutations: Definitions and Examples
What is a frameshift in genetic translation? How can a frameshift mutation change a protein? In this lesson, learn about the codon reading frame and how frameshift mutations cause serious problems for polypeptide formation.
5. Missense Mutation: Definition & Example
While people with sickle-cell disease show many symptoms, such as pain and fatigue, this disease is caused by only a single change in a DNA sequence. You can learn more about this kind of change, called a missense mutation, in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Biology: Homework Help Resource course
- Science Basics: Homework Help
- Basic Science Lab Skills: Homework Help
- Inorganic Chemistry Review for High School Biology: Homework Help
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry: Homework Help
- Enzymatic Biochemistry: Homework Help
- Cell Biology: Homework Help
- Requirements of Biological Systems: Homework Help
- Cell Communication: Homework Help
- Metabolic Biochemistry: Homework Help
- Cell Division: Homework Help
- Nucleic Acids - DNA and RNA: Homework Help
- DNA Replication - Processes and Steps: Homework Help
- The Transcription and Translation Process: Homework Help
- Genetics - Principles of Heredity: Homework Help
- DNA Technology and Genomics: Homework Help
- Bacterial Biology Overview: Homework Help
- Introduction to Viruses: Homework Help
- The Origin of the Universe and Life on Earth: Homework Help
- Geologic Time: Homework Help
- Evolution Overview: Homework Help
- Phylogeny and the Classification of Organisms: Homework Help
- Plant Biology: Homework Help
- Plant Reproduction and Growth: Homework Help
- Introduction to Fungi: Homework Help
- Introduction to Invertebrates: Homework Help
- Introduction to Vertebrates: Homework Help
- Digestive System & Other Systems: Homework Help
- The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems: Homework Help
- Animal Reproduction and Development: Homework Help
- Human Reproductive Systems: Homework Help
- Ecology and the Environment: Homework Help
- Human Effects on the Environment: Homework Help
- Animal Behavior: Homework Help
- Basic Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques: Homework Help
- Analyzing Scientific Data: Homework Help