About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other high school biology work.
- Identify the genetic mutations concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our high school biology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about genetic mutations and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding point mutations, insertions, mutagens, frameshift mutations or any other genetic mutations topic.
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their genetic mutations unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school biology
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about genetic mutations simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live biology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about genetic mutations on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Describe how DNA is affected by point mutations, deletions and insertions.
- Explain how different types of mutations affect protein function.
- Learn how mutation rates are affected by the environment.
- Discuss the effects of frameshift mutations.
1. What is a Point Mutation? - Definition, Causes & Types
What are genetic mutations? How do they affect our DNA? This lesson covers the basics of point mutations and provides simple examples of different mutation types.
2. Effects of Mutations on Protein Function: Missense, Nonsense, and Silent Mutations
How does a tiny point mutation change the way a protein works? What are the consequences of base substitutions? In this lesson, we'll use an imaginary creature to explore missense, nonsense and silent mutations.
3. Mutagens: How the Environment Affects Mutation Rates
What causes mutations to occur in living things? How do we avoid mutations? Are mutations always bad? Discover answers to these questions and more in this lesson on mutagens.
4. Effects of Frameshift Mutations: Definitions and Examples
What is a frameshift in genetic translation? How can a frameshift mutation change a protein? In this lesson, learn about the codon reading frame and how frameshift mutations cause serious problems for polypeptide formation.
5. Nonsense Mutation: Definition & Example
Mutations are changes in a cell's DNA sequence. When a mutation happens in the coding sequence of a gene, the resulting protein is changed. In this lesson, discover what a nonsense mutation is and what effects it has on the protein that is made from a gene.
6. Stop Codon Mutation: Sequence & Overview
Imagine if a traffic light stayed on red and never changed - or maybe it never even turned red at all. This would cause a lot of problems! Stop codons are like the stoplights for making proteins. Learn about stop codon mutations in this lesson.
7. Beneficial Mutations: Examples & Effects
People often view mutations in a negative light. However, without mutations, people would not have their rich color vision, and some would not have a tolerance for lactose. This lesson describes and gives examples of beneficial mutations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Biology: Tutoring Solution course
- Science Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Basic Science Lab Skills: Tutoring Solution
- Inorganic Chemistry Review for High School Biology: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Enzymatic Biochemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Cell Biology: Tutoring Solution
- Requirements of Biological Systems: Tutoring Solution
- Cell Communication: Tutoring Solution
- Metabolic Biochemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Cell Division: Tutoring Solution
- Nucleic Acids - DNA and RNA: Tutoring Solution
- DNA Replication - Processes and Steps: Tutoring Solution
- The Transcription and Translation Process: Tutoring Solution
- Genetics - Principles of Heredity: Tutoring Solution
- DNA Technology and Genomics: Tutoring Solution
- Bacterial Biology Overview: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Viruses: Tutoring Solution
- The Origin of the Universe and Life on Earth: Tutoring Solution
- Geologic Time: Tutoring Solution
- Evolution Overview: Tutoring Solution
- Phylogeny and the Classification of Organisms: Tutoring Solution
- Plant Biology: Tutoring Solution
- Plant Reproduction and Growth: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Fungi: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Invertebrates: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Vertebrates: Tutoring Solution
- The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems: Tutoring Solution
- The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems: Tutoring Solution
- Animal Reproduction and Development: Tutoring Solution
- Human Reproductive Systems: Tutoring Solution
- Ecology and the Environment: Tutoring Solution
- Human Effects on the Environment: Tutoring Solution
- Animal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- Basic Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques: Tutoring Solution
- Analyzing Scientific Data: Tutoring Solution