About This Chapter
Genetics & Evolution Overview - Chapter Summary
If you need to quickly review the fundamentals of genetics and evolution, this chapter is for you. Complete these simple video lessons to study basic concepts related to heredity, chromosomes, genetic disorders, DNA mutations, natural selection, adaptation and more. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain how organisms are classified
- Trace the evolution of organisms
- Evaluate genetic traits
- Compare several types of genetic disorders
- Explain the theory of natural selection and adaptation
- Describe the effects of genetic mutation
Following each lesson is a short quiz that's designed to reinforce your understanding of the material. Revisit the lessons as many times as needed, and if you have any questions about these genetics and evolution concepts, simply use the chapter's convenient Ask the Expert feature. For your convenience, we've made these study resources available on any device that has an Internet connection.
1. The Classification, Genetics & Evolution of Organisms
Understanding the reason for the high biodiversity of organisms on Earth requires a solid grasp of genetics, evolution, and the system by which we classify them. Here we will explore these concepts, and finish with a brief quiz.
2. Genetics: Heredity, Traits & Chromosomes
We view manipulation of genes in our crops and livestock as a recent development. Yet, man has been manipulating the genetic makeup of his food for thousands of years through cultivation and breeding. This lesson will begin to help you understand how genetics works.
3. Types of Genetic Disorders: Definitions & Symptoms
Cystic fibrosis, Huntington's disease, Tay-Sachs disease, sickle cell disease, Down syndrome, and cancer all have something in common. They are all genetic disorders, and we will discuss why they may occur and what problems they might cause.
4. Natural Selection & Adaptation: Definition, Theory & Examples
How does natural selection help shape the amazing types of animals we witness around us? In this lesson, we'll explore adaptations and what they can tell us about a species' past evolution.
5. Mutations: When DNA Is Copied Wrong
In this lesson, we will learn how mutations, or errors in DNA, come about, what kinds of effects they may have, and how they can impact populations as a whole.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the General Studies Science: Help & Review course
- Chemical Compounds & Bonds Overview
- Drawing Conclusions from a Scientific Investigation
- Electricity Fundamentals & Overview
- Energy & Heat Overview
- Essential Biology Concepts
- Essential Chemistry Concepts
- Essential Concepts in Physics
- Evolutionary Principles
- Food Webs Overview
- Components of Living Things
- Intro to Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Human Body Systems: Functions & Processes
- Foundations of Chemical Compounds & Bonds
- Foundations of Chemical Reactions, Acids, and Bases
- Foundations of Energy & Heat
- Foundations of Magnetism
- Fundamentals of Mechanics
- Lab Equipment for Scientific Study
- Measurement & the Metric System Fundamentals
- Nuclear Energy Fundamentals
- Planning a Scientific Investigation Or Experiment
- Plant & Soil Ecology
- Populations & Relationships in Ecology
- Sound & Light Waves
- Studying Biological Communities
- The Periodic Table, Atoms & Elements
- Using Data for Investigation & Experimentation
- Scientific Data: Organization, Analysis & Drawing Conclusions
- Types of Living Things
- Plant Structure & Processes
- Fundamentals of Matter
- Mechanics of Physics
- Introduction to Relativity
- Fundamentals of Electricity
- Introduction to Magnetism
- Fundamentals of Waves, Sound and Light
- Space, The Solar System and the Universe
- Introduction to Atmospheric Science
- Geology Basics
- Fundamentals of Genetics