About This Chapter
Genetics & Molecular Biology - Chapter Summary
Strengthen your level of expertise in the study of basic genetics by reviewing these lessons on the composition and role of nucleic acids, mutations and gene expression. The lessons discuss the topics in the list shown:
- Organization and significance of nucleic acids
- Explanation of gene expression
- Examples and impact of insertion and deletion mutations
- Definition and role of restriction enzymes
- Methods and applications of DNA sequencing and recombinant DNA
Brief and entertaining, yet informative and interesting lessons are presented by expert instructors in a fully online format. This study guide can be a powerful and useful tool in your test prep toolbox. Our mobile, fully online platform frees you to study from any location and from any device that allows Internet access, so you can work at your own pace, on your own terms and at your own convenience.
1. Nucleic Acids: Function & Structure
In this lesson, we will explore what nucleic acids are, including the oozing bodily fluid they were first found in, what makes them unique from other types of biological molecules, and why DNA is called the 'blueprint of life.'
2. What Is Gene Expression? - Regulation, Analysis & Definition
What is a gene? How are genes expressed? What does the term gene expression mean? Can we analyze gene expression? These questions will be addressed in this lesson.
3. Insertion Mutation: Diseases & Examples
Insertion mutations occur when extra genetic material is added to a DNA sequence. Learn about insertion mutations and some of the diseases they can cause in this lesson.
4. Deletion Mutation: Definition, Examples & Diseases
Mutations are errors in the replication of DNA. Sometimes a piece of DNA can be deleted from the copy, creating a devastating effect on the organism's ability to manufacture an important protein. This can lead to disease.
5. Restriction Enzymes: Function and Definition
Restriction enzymes played a critical role in the advent of genetic engineering. In this lesson, you will learn what role restriction enzymes play in creating recombinant DNA.
6. DNA Sequencing: Definition, Methods & Applications
DNA sequencing allows scientists to know the exact message coded in DNA. In this lesson, we'll talk about how DNA replication is the basis for sequencing, how scientists do DNA replication in the lab, and important uses for it in research and everyday life.
7. Recombinant DNA: Definition, Applications & Methods
This lesson is all about recombinant DNA, which is DNA that has been combined from multiple sources. If you ever wondered about GMO's or how scientists are manipulating DNA to cure diseases, this article is for you!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Biology: Practice & Study Guide course
- Applications of Science & Engineering
- STEM & Society
- Reading & Interpreting Scientific Information
- Properties of Living Systems
- Cell Structure and Functions
- Patterns & Processes of Inheritance
- Mechanisms of Biological Evolution
- Evidence for the Origin of Life
- Structures & Functions of Organisms
- Organisms & Homeostasis
- Ecosystems, Populations & Communities
- Ecosystems, Biomes & Environmental Change
- Human Impact on the Biosphere
- MEGA Biology Flashcards