About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering Central and South American geography will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the geographical features of Central and South America. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing South and Central American geography concepts
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning geography (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Geography in Central & South America chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Geography in Central & South America chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any geography question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about Central and South American geography for a standard geography course. Topics covered include:
- Central American physical geography
- Latin America's cultural geography
- Physical geography of South America
- Geography of Colombia
1. Physical Geography of Central America
Central America is what connects the continents of the Western Hemisphere, giving it some unique geographic features. In this lesson, we'll talk about the geography of Central America and see what defines this region.
2. Physical Geography of South America
South America has some of the most diverse physical geography of any continent. In this lesson, we take a look at the mountains, forests, deserts, and grasslands of the continent.
3. Cultural Geography of Latin America
How people relate to their environments is an important part of society. In this lesson, we'll talk about cultural geography as it relates to Latin America, and explore some major cultural regions of this area.
4. Geography of Colombia
Colombia is a major nation of South America, and a lot of its history is tied to its geography. In this lesson, we'll take a look at Colombian geography and examine how the country's location relates to its environments and biodiversity.
5. Teotihuacan Ruins: Definition, History & Facts
Mesoamerica is full of impressive ruins, but there's one more mysterious than the rest. In this lesson, we'll explore the ruins of Teotihuacán and talk about the people who built this city.
6. Teotihuacan Excavation & Artifacts
Teotihuacan is one of the most interesting and mysterious ancient Mesoamerican cities. For years, archaeologists and historians have continued to excavate this area, discovering many ancient artifacts in the process.
7. Lake Titicaca in Peru: History, Facts & Mystery
At the beginning of the 21st century, a large temple was found at the bottom of Lake Titicaca. With it, and other recovered artifacts, historians have been trying to unravel the history, and the mystery, of this South American lake. This lesson takes a look at what they have discovered.
8. Why is Monte Alban Historically Important?
There are many important archeological sites in Mexico, so what makes Monte Albán so important? In this lesson, we'll examine that question and learn about the mysterious people who lived here.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.