About This Chapter
Geography of Latin America & the Caribbean - Chapter Summary
Give your students a comprehensive overview of the geography of Latin America and the Caribbean by utilizing these teacher resources to create your lessons. Take advantage of lesson plans that include learning objectives, curriculum standards and much more. Also, enjoy game ideas that can keep your students engaged. Resources available in this chapter include:
- Caribbean history and island lesson plans, and Caribbean map games
- Lessons that examine American imperialism, Caribbean countries and capitals, and the culture and history of Caribbean South America
- Jamaica and Caribbean ethnic group lessons and lesson plans
- Central America culture, history, politics and independence lessons and lesson plans
- Costa Rica and Panama Canal lessons and lesson plans
- Lessons and lesson plans covering Spanish-speaking countries
- Brazil culture, history and politics lessons and lesson plans
Access the lesson plans from any computer or mobile device to make curriculum and lesson development easy. Use the fun lessons included in this chapter as supplemental learning materials you can share with your students.
How It Helps
- Required class materials: Helps you determine which materials are best used during your geography lessons covering Latin America and the Caribbean
- Classwork suggestions: Offers suggestions for providing your students with geography classwork and homework assignments that will strengthen their comprehension
- Discussion questions: Provides questions you can use during your lectures to help students discuss and expand their geography knowledge
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning Latin America and Caribbean geography lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific Jamaica, Costa Rica, Panama Canal or other topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your Latin America and Caribbean geography class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related Brazil, Central America and other lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important Latin America and Caribbean geography concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant Caribbean and Latin American geography-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Caribbean Islands Lesson Plan
Are your students familiar with the Caribbean and its islands? This lesson plan outlines key facts about the nations that make up the Caribbean. An activity allows students to learn more about the Caribbean nations.
2. Caribbean Countries & Capitals
Do you know where the Caribbean is or what its many nations are called? What about their capitals? After this lesson, you should be able to answer all of these questions!
3. Caribbean History Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to help you teach your students the history of the Caribbean. Two video-based lessons are used to guide students through differing aspects of its cultural and political history with discussion questions. Finish with an engaging activity.
4. Culture, History & Politics of Caribbean South America
This lesson focuses on the lands of Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, and French Guiana. It highlights the colonization of these areas by countries like Spain, France, and the Netherlands.
5. American Imperialism in Latin America & the Caribbean
Around the turn of the 20th century, the United States entered a period of non-colonial imperial expansion throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. Learn about the short-term and long-term effects of some of these policies in this video lesson.
6. Caribbean Ethnic Groups Lesson Plan
Teach your students about ethnic groups found in the Caribbean with this lesson plan. Students will read our anchor text lesson to learn about ethnic identities found in the Caribbean, examining each population with discussion questions. Follow up with a quiz and activity.
7. Caribbean Ethnic Groups
The Caribbean is a broad geographical area, filled with people of many ethnicities. In this lesson, we are going to learn about ethnicity in the Caribbean and see how it impacts the identities of Caribbean peoples.
8. Caribbean Map Games
Learning about geography does not have to be boring! The games in this lesson will help get your students more familiar with the map of the Caribbean while staying motivated and engaged.
9. Jamaica Lesson Plan
Teach your students about the country of Jamaica with the help of this lesson plan. Guide students through reading our informational text lesson, identifying key ideas and supporting details about Jamaica and discussing content. Finish up with a fun activity.
10. Jamaica Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
Jamaica is an island country in the Caribbean Sea. Jamaica has an interesting culture and lifestyle. Jamaica has a warm climate and is a major tourist destination for a beach vacation.
11. Central America Lesson Plan
Where in the world is Central America? This lesson plan uses two video lessons to answer that question and teach students key facts about the region. A group activity asks students to dig deeper to understand life in this region of the world.
12. Culture, History & Politics of Central America
This lesson explores the region of Central America. It discusses how it has been impacted by European colonization, its categorization as part of the developing world, and the effect of the Cold War on its politics and its people.
13. Independence for Central America: History, Timeline & Events
In this lesson, we will take a look at Central American independence from Spanish colonial rule. We will learn what led to these independence movements, and we will highlight key themes.
14. Costa Rica Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to help you teach your students about the Central American country of Costa Rica. Students will read our nonfiction text lesson to learn about the geography, history, climate, and wildlife of the nation before participating in a hands-on project.
15. Costa Rica Facts: Lesson for Kids
Costa Rica is a Central American country with beautiful landscapes and unique wildlife. In this lesson, explore the history, geography, and culture of this nation.
16. Brazil Lesson Plan
What do your students know about Brazil? A video lesson provides a general overview of the country and a research activity gives students the chance to delve deeper. Related lessons and extensions offer the opportunity for further study.
17. Culture, History & Politics of Brazil
This lesson will discuss Brazil, specifically its history, politics, and culture. It will highlight the influence of Portugal and the Catholic faith as well as Brazil's love of soccer.
18. Panama Canal Lesson Plan
Do your students understand the significance of the Panama Canal? This lesson plan uses a brief video lesson to explain key facts and an activity gets students involved in analysis of the issues surrounding the construction of the canal.
19. What is the Panama Canal? - History, Building & Facts
The Panama Canal is a large canal connecting the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. It is considered a major engineering feat, but also reflects the United States's aggressive foreign policy during the early 20th century.
20. Spanish-Speaking Countries Lesson Plan
Do you need an engaging method for teaching your students about Spanish-speaking countries? In this lesson plan, you will find a text lesson that walks students through each country and an activity that pairs students up for deeper exploration.
21. Spanish-Speaking Countries & Capitals
Did you know that there are 21 countries around the world that speak Spanish as the official language? This lesson explores the countries and capitals where Spanish is spoken.
22. Countries That Speak Spanish
The use of language gives us the ability to connect with others on a more personal and cultural level. Learning Spanish opens up communication to millions of people in many different countries. With that type of communicating power, the possibilities are endless!
23. Haiti Lesson Plan
Study the history, culture and geography of Haiti with this lesson plan. Students will read an informational text, discuss content, and apply learning to a hands-on activity.
24. Haiti Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
Haiti is an island nation with a rich cultural heritage. Yet it has seen its share of invasions, natural disasters and environmental destruction, helping to make it the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. In this lesson, we'll learn about the land, culture, and history of Haiti.
25. Mexican States Activities & Games
In your geography lessons, you might find yourself teaching your students about the Mexican states. In this lesson, you'll find a variety of activities and games that will engage your students.
26. South America Map Activities & Games
South America can be referred to as one of the most beautiful places on earth, with its tropical rainforest and many cultures. Students will broaden their knowledge of South America by participating in the following map activities.
27. Latin American Geography Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, your students are going to learn about the geography of Latin America, and will be introduced to some concepts of human geography. They will apply this by creating travel brochures of the region.
28. Latin American Geography: Map, Features & Facts
In this lesson, explore the beautiful and diverse geography of Latin America. Learn which are the different areas of this region, and also, discover some important features and interesting information about them.
29. Amazon River Lesson Plan
The Amazon River is a place shrouded in mystery and amazement. This lesson plan uses discussion and activities to get your students really thinking about the region and inhabitants of the Amazon River.
30. The Amazon River: Location, Special Features & Facts
The Amazon River is a truly unique natural drainage system. In this lesson, we'll check out the dimensions, locations, and use of this river and see what makes it so special.
31. Mexico Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Do your students know the history of Mexico? This lesson plan uses a text lesson to outline key events in Mexico's history while highlighting its cultural influences. An activity connects students with key Mexican landmarks.
32. History of Mexico Lesson for Kids
Mexico is a successful country with many tourist attractions. In this lesson, we'll learn about how Mexico became a country, the native civilizations, and the battles fought for land.
33. Panama Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Increase student awareness of the country of Panama with the help of this lesson plan. Students will read a text lesson that outlines facts about the country, practice geography skills, and show what they know with a fun project.
34. Argentina Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Explore Argentina with this lesson plan. Students will read a text lesson that details Argentina's location, people and customs. They will identify the country on a map and interact with content before doing a fun activity to show understanding.
35. South America Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Explore the geography, history, wildlife and culture of South America with this lesson. Students will read a text lesson that details these and other aspects of the continent, do activities to apply learning, and take a quiz to test understanding.
36. Countries of South America Games
It can be hard to learn the countries of South America, but using games can help make that learning more active and easier. The games in this lesson can be played individually, in partners, as part of a small group, or as a whole class.
37. Geography of South America Lesson Plan
Consider using this lesson as a way for students to gain knowledge of the geography of South America. Students will locate the countries on a map, learn about South America, and create a presentation on one of the four main areas.
38. Physical Geography of South America
South America has some of the most diverse physical geography of any continent. In this lesson, we take a look at the mountains, forests, deserts, and grasslands of the continent.
39. Cuba Essay Topics
Cuba is a complicated country with an important and fascinating history and culture. This lesson offers a series of essay topics you can use to get your students thinking and writing about Cuba from a variety of perspectives.
40. Caribbean Capitals Games
The Caribbean Islands are paradise in water. While the island names are known to some students, most do not know their corresponding capitals. Read on to find three fun and engaging games to help familiarize students with the capitals of each island.
41. Caribbean Flag Games
Are you looking for ideas to help your students identify the Caribbean island nations? This lesson presents some games to help students learn or review the flags of the different nations.
42. Project Ideas on the Dominican Republic
There are many ways to teach about geography and culture. These projects can help you engage your students in creative and unique ways, while teaching them about the Dominican Republic.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Teaching Geography of the Americas course