About This Chapter
Geography and Weather - Chapter Summary
This chapter examines the structural properties of weather and geography, analyzing the various factors of the atmosphere and the terms associated with it. When you finish reviewing with this chapter, you'll have heightened your understanding of:
- The structure and general circulation of the atmosphere
- The atmospheric cycle
- Weather variables
- Atmospheric pressure
- Factors that affect wind
- Types of air masses and how they affect weather
- Isobars and weather fronts
- Solar radiation and energy
- The geography of the four seasons
- El Nino and La Nina
Make sure you understood each lesson by taking the practice quizzes. These interactive quizzes will direct you to the appropriate point of the material if you answer incorrectly. If you'd like to use these quizzes for further offline study, they are also available to be printed as worksheets.
1. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
2. The General Circulation of the Atmosphere
The Sahara Desert, tropical rainforests, and cold polar winds are all due to Earth's rotation. In this video lesson, you will learn how this rotation has created global air circulation patterns on Earth and how it is responsible for such diverse climate patterns across the globe.
3. Temperature, Clouds, Wind & Humidity on the Atmospheric Cycle
Weather is the current state of the atmosphere and is determined by factors like temperature, pressure and humidity. These factors that cause periodic changes in the Earth's air masses are explored in this lesson.
4. Weather Variables: Air Pressure, Temperature & Density
Weather is influenced by a number of factors. In this lesson, you will learn about three key variables that control weather and how they work together to do so.
5. Atmospheric Pressure: Definition & Effects
Atmospheric pressure is around us all of the time. The air you are breathing has weight, and although it doesn't weigh a lot, there is a lot of it around. This lesson will cover atmospheric pressure and its effects.
6. Factors That Affect Wind: Pressure Gradient Forces, Coriolis Effect & Friction
In this video lesson, you will learn about wind and some factors that affect it, such as air temperature and pressure, the Coriolis effect, and friction. By the end of this lesson, you will also understand how Earth's rotation plays a role in how winds travel.
7. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
8. What is an Isobar? - Definition & Examples
Learn the definition of an isobar, then explore the way in which they are applied on a map and what they show. After completing the lesson, you'll understand why isobars are useful tools for predicting weather.
9. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
10. What is Solar Radiation? - Definition & Effects
The sun plays an important role to us on Earth. It provides many things such as light and warmth. But, what is solar radiation and how does it affect us? In this video lesson, you'll learn about solar radiation, how it allows us to survive, and the influence it has on our global climate.
11. Solar Energy: Effects on Earth's Temperature
In this video lesson, learn about solar energy and how it affects temperatures on Earth. You will also learn what causes changes in day length and why some parts of Earth experience seasonal differences throughout the year.
12. Geography of the Four Seasons
This lesson will explain how the earth's axis and rotation affect seasons. In doing this, it will also highlight the concept of the summer and winter solstices, as well as how seasons vary around the globe.
13. The Relationship Between El Nino & La Nina
In this video lesson, you will learn about El Niño and La Niña. You will understand the differences between them, as well as some of their effects on both ocean waters and weather patterns on land.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Geography (536): Practice & Study Guide course
- Geography Literacy
- Geography Tools
- Overview of Water Cycle & Balance
- Overview of Geomorphology
- Tectonic Processes
- Understanding Volcanoes
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Rocks & Weathering
- Landforms & Biomes
- The Environment & Society
- Environmental Hazards & Pollution
- Overview of Human Geography
- Geography & Early Human Communities
- Geography & Ancient Civilizations
- Population & The Environment
- Agricultural History & Types
- Issues & Trends in Modern-Day Agriculture
- Understanding Cultural Geography
- Human Settlement Patterns
- The Impact of Religion on Geography
- The Economy & Geography
- Politics & Geography
- Global Trade
- Understanding Globalization
- International Players in Global Politics
- Understanding Industrialization
- Regional Geography: Continents
- Regional Geography: Subregions of the World
- United States Regional Geography
- GACE History: The History of Georgia
- Physical & Human Geography of Georgia
- GACE Geography Flashcards