About This Chapter
Geology and the Environment - Chapter Summary
Geology and the environment often go hand-in-hand, since the environment has such a significant impact on geological processes. These lessons go over some of the major geology concepts, such as soil erosion and minerals, and the lessons also discuss the connections between these geology topics and the environment.
Instead of weighing you down with a long, seemingly endless chapter of facts, we break up this chapter into miniaturized lessons. Each lesson remains focused on a single topic. With such a pinpoint focus, our instructors make sure that you only learn the most relevant information possible. Additionally, our shorter lessons are easier to fit within your day, as each lesson can be completed in usually less than 10 minutes. As you go through this chapter, you'll learn about the following:
- How surface and groundwater affect the landscape
- Geological progression portrayed in landform diagrams
- An explanation of tectonic plate movement
- Environmental impacts of mineral processing, extraction, and use
- Using sustainable soil strategies to fight soil erosion
1. Ground and Surface Water: Effects On Landscapes
In this lesson, you will learn how groundwater and surface water form features on Earth and cause changes in landscapes. You will also learn about the different types of features formed by each type of water.
2. How a Landform Diagram Describes the Geological Progression of a Landscape
This lesson describes what a landform diagram is. We'll also discuss some basic laws of geology that can help scientists deduce both the order of events that create a landform and the geologic events that occur after a landform's formation.
3. Causes of Tectonic Plate Movement
In this lesson, we explore the causes of plate movement, including thermal convection, ridge push and slab pull. Students will learn how these processes complement each other and form a theory for tectonic plate movement.
4. Extraction and Processing of Minerals & the Environmental Impacts of Mineral Use
In this lesson, you will learn about the different methods used to extract minerals from the ground and gain an understanding about how different types of mining affect the environment.
5. Soil Conservation: Fighting Soil Erosion With Sustainable Soil Use
In this lesson, you will learn about the causes of soil erosion and the impacts it has on plants and other resources. You will also learn about how erosion is prevented through land use and land monitoring.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Environmental Science 101: Environment and Humanity course
- Introduction to Environmental Science
- Ecosystems and the Effects of Pollution
- Habitats & Ecosystems
- The Evolution of Ecosystems
- Meteorology and the Environment
- Biological Science
- Causes and Effects of Freshwater Pollution
- The Relationship Between Land and the Environment
- Effects of Population Growth on the Environment
- Environmental Impact of Agriculture
- Solid and Hazardous Waste
- Human Impact on the Environment
- Renewable Resources and the Environment
- Nonrenewable Resources
- Environmental Sustainability
- Analyzing Environmental Risks
- Impact of Environmental Policy
- Studying for Environmental Science 101