About This Chapter
Geometric Angles & Shapes - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons look at lines, points and angles in geometry. Our instructors will go over the types of angles and explain the basic shapes used in geometry and their properties. You'll learn to calculate the area of circles, triangles and rectangles and apply the Pythagorean theorem.
Other lessons look at similar triangles, vertical and complementary angles and three-dimensional shapes. Calculating the volumes of basic shapes is also discussed here. These video lessons should prepare you to:
- Describe types of angles
- Name properties of triangles, rectangles, squares and rhombuses
- Use the Pythagorean theorem
- Define vertical and complementary angles
- Calculate the volume of cylinders, cones, spheres, prisms and pyramids
These brief, engaging video lessons are designed and taught by expert instructors. Multiple-choice quizzes at the end of each lesson let you check your learning. The timeline offers a jump feature that allows you to easily return to topics in the lessons that require further review. If you still have questions, you can contact the instructor.
1. Points, Lines & Angles in Geometry
After watching this video lesson, you should understand the basic terms that form the foundation of geometry. Learn what a point is, what a line is, what an angle is, and learn about a special type of angle called a right angle.
2. Types of Angles: Vertical, Corresponding, Alternate Interior & Others
In addition to basic right, acute, or obtuse angles, there are many other types of angles or angle relationships. In this lesson, we will learn to identify these angle relationships and discuss their measurements.
3. Overview of the Basic Shapes in Geometry
Watch this video lesson to learn about some basic shapes in geometry. These are the shapes that you will come across most often in math. Watch as triangles, rectangles, pentagons, and circles come by.
4. Properties of Shapes: Rectangles, Squares and Rhombuses
What's the difference between a square and a rectangle? What about a rhombus and a square? In this lesson, we'll look at the properties of these shapes.
5. Properties of Shapes: Triangles
Isosceles, equilateral and obtuse, oh my! These are terms for triangles. But, what do they mean? In this lesson, we'll explore the properties of triangles and take a closer look at the different types of triangles you may encounter.
6. Perimeter of Triangles and Rectangles
Without realizing it, we calculate and use the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in regular everyday situations. Learn more about the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in this lesson, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
7. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
8. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
9. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
10. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
11. Applications of Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are used to solve problems in everyday situations. Learn how to solve with similar triangles here, and then test your understanding with a quiz.
12. Angles and Triangles: Practice Problems
Want more practice solving with angle pairs? How about more review for solving angles in triangles? Look no further. Get more practice here, and test your ability with a quiz.
13. Vertical Angles & Complementary Angles: Definition & Examples
Special angles make your life easier. Learn how you can use the properties of special angles to help you find the measurements of missing angles in this video lesson.
14. Overview of Three-dimensional Shapes in Geometry
We are surrounded by three-dimensional shapes. Watch this video lesson to see what some three-dimensional shapes look like, such as a cube, a sphere, a brick, and a cylinder.
15. How to Calculate the Volumes of Basic Shapes
Squares pegs = square holes. Triangular pegs = triangular holes. But where does a sphere go? In this lesson, review volumes of common shapes while contrasting a sphere and a cylinder - after all, they both go into the circular hole... right?
16. Volume of Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres
In this lesson, we'll learn about the volume formulas for cylinders, cones and spheres. We'll also practice using the formula in a variety of real-world examples where knowing how to calculate volume is helpful.
17. Volume of Prisms and Pyramids
In this lesson, we'll learn about prisms and pyramids. We'll look at the different types of prisms and pyramids, as well as practice calculating volume for each shape.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer College Level Math Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Operations with Basic Algebraic Expressions
- Arithmetic with Rational Expressions
- Factoring in Algebra
- Expanding Polynomials
- Manipulating Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Quadratic Equations
- Calculating & Graphing Inequalities
- Solving Systems of Linear Equations
- Conics in Algebra
- Algebraic Concepts of Groups & Sets
- Graphs of Algebraic Functions
- Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- Notation, Sequences & Series
- Matrices and Determinants in Algebra
- Fractions, Decimals & Mixed Numbers
- Approaches to Math Word Problems
- Understanding Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Trigonometric Functions & Equations