About This Chapter
Geometric Relationships in the Coordinate Plane - Chapter Summary
Work through this chapter at your own pace to study geometric relationships in the coordinate plane, as well as concepts like rotation, dilation, and translation. Our expert instructors break down these relationships, terminology and formulas in a way that's easy to understand and remember. Completing this chapter can help you:
- Recognize quadrants, ordered pairs, perimeter and area on the coordinate plane
- Use coordinate geometry formulas
- Graph shapes on the coordinate plane
- Define rotation, reflection and translation
- Explain the concept of dilation in math
When you're finished with a lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to check your understanding of key terms and concepts. Your dashboard will keep track of your progress throughout the chapter. The chapter is available to study at any time of day or night, and its online format allows you to study at home, at school or wherever you happen to be.
1. What is a Coordinate Plane? - Definition, Quadrants & Example
In this lesson, you'll learn what a coordinate plane is and some coordinate plane terminology. You'll also see a few examples of coordinate planes in action. Then, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
2. Ordered Pairs on the Coordinate Plane
In this video lesson, you will see how points are plotted on the coordinate plane. Learn the proper way to identify points on the coordinate plane and how to read the points.
3. Coordinate Geometry: Definition & Formulas
In this lesson we'll define coordinate geometry and learn about formulas that are commonly used in coordinate geometry. You can then take a brief quiz to see what you learned.
4. Overview of Graphing Shapes on the Coordinate Plane
After reading this lesson, you'll see how easy it is to solve geometry problems with a coordinate plane. You'll learn how the Pythagorean Theorem can help you find the distance between two points and how easy it is to find the area of a rectangle.
5. Reflection, Rotation & Translation
This lesson will define reflection, rotation, and translation as they relate to math. It will also show you an example of each one so that you can perform these transformations on your own.
6. Dilation in Math: Definition & Meaning
Dilations are transformations that change figures in specific ways. Learn about these changes and how to complete dilations here. Then test your understanding with a quiz.
7. Perimeter & Area in the Coordinate Plane
After reading this lesson, you'll know how you can use the coordinate plane to help you find the perimeter and area of various shapes. Learn how you can find your answers just by counting.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Special Education Mathematics & Science (088): Practice & Study Guide course
- Working with Real Numbers
- Fractions, Decimals, Percents & Ratios
- Understanding Number Theory & Estimation
- Overview of Basic Algebra
- Patterns & Sequences in Algebra
- Characteristics & Relationships of Functions
- Solving Basic Geometric Problems
- Points, Lines, Rays & Angles
- Solving Angle Problems with Triangles & Quadrilaterals
- Solving Problems Involving Systems of Measurement
- Displaying & Interpreting Data
- Measures of Central Tendency
- Statistical Models & Processes
- Understanding Probability, Combinations & Permutations
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Evaluating Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- Atoms, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Concepts of Mechanics Overview
- Electricity & Magnetism Overview
- Waves & Optics Overview
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Understanding Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Rocks, Minerals & Soil Overview
- Earth's Structure, Shape & Processes
- Historical Geology
- Understanding the Earth's Oceans
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate, Seasons & Geography
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Special Education Mathematics & Science Flashcards