About This Chapter
Geometric Relationships & Transformations - Chapter Summary
Expert instructors have developed quality video lessons designed to ensure you have a good grasp of geometric relationships and transformations. Access them anytime to learn about the use of various formulas and definitions of various characteristics of math. Once you've completed this chapter, you will have the knowledge to:
- Identify and read points on the coordinate plane
- Use the midpoint and distance formulas
- Translate an object in math
- Describe four common transformations
- Define the rotation, and describe its use in math
- Recognize and create reflections
- Complete dilations in math
Each lesson in this chapter is available as a short video and a full transcript. Videos average about 5 to 10 minutes each and provide details about geometric relations and transformations in a fun manner. Full transcripts allow you to print the lessons and offer vocabulary words you can use to enhance you knowledge of concepts covered. With each lesson is a short quiz designed to test your geometry knowledge. A chapter exam is also available to reinforce lesson concepts.
1. Ordered Pairs on the Coordinate Plane
In this video lesson, you will see how points are plotted on the coordinate plane. Learn the proper way to identify points on the coordinate plane and how to read the points.
2. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
The formula for the midpoint of a line segment will tell you how to find the middle of any line segment on the x, y plane. Learn about this formula and see how it is used to find the midpoint of a line segment.
3. How to Use The Distance Formula
You can't always rely on your smartphone to tell you how far you need to travel to get from point A to point B. The distance formula will tell you the distance between any two points on a graph. In this lesson, you'll learn where it comes from and how to use it!
4. What is Translation in Math? - Definition, Examples, & Terms
In mathematics, translation refers to moving an object without changing it in any other way. This lesson will describe how to translate an object and give some examples. A quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
5. Transformations in Math: Definition & Graph
In geometry, transformation refers to the movement of objects in the coordinate plane. This lesson will define and give examples of each of the four common transformations and end with a quiz to make sure you are moving in the right direction.
6. Rotations in Math: Definition & Overview
A geometric rotation refers to the rotating of a figure around a center of rotation. This lesson will get you going on rotations, give you some examples, and end with a quiz that tests your knowledge of rotations.
7. Reflections in Math: Definition & Overview
A reflection of an object is a 'flip' of that object across a line. This lesson will describe the basics of reflection, how to recognize one and how to create one.
8. Dilation in Math: Definition & Meaning
Dilations are transformations that change figures in specific ways. Learn about these changes and how to complete dilations here. Then test your understanding with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 - Math Subject Concentration (5158): Practice & Study Guide course
- Real & Rational Numbers
- Exponents & Operations
- Properties of Operations
- Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- Number Theory & Estimation
- Radical & Exponential Expressions
- Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Nonlinear Equations & Inequalities
- Systems of Equations
- Sequences & Patterns in Math
- Understanding & Comparing Functions
- Function Graphs & Models
- Perimeter, Area & Volume Overview
- Properties of Angles & Lines
- Properties of Shapes Overview
- Systems of Measurement & Conversion
- Geometric Construction
- Data Interpretation in Math
- Dispersion & Probability Models
- Logical Reasoning & Visual Representations of Data
- Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 - Math Subject Concentration (5158) Flashcards