About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Geometry Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about planes and platonic solids. There is no faster or easier way to learn about geometric solids. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about prisms, pyramids, spheres, cylinders and cones.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a math curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and the Geometric Solids unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Geometric Solids Unit Objectives:
- Identify platonic solids such as tetrahedron, octahedron and icosahedron.
- Calculate the volume and surface area of a pyramid.
- Learn to find the lateral area of a cone.
- Illustrate and calculate the volume and area of a sphere.
- Explain how to find the volume of a prism.
- Give an example of a polyhedron.
1. Planes and the Polyhedron: Definition and Example
Did you ever wonder what the pyramids in Egypt have to do with math? Watch this video to find out where in math a pyramid comes into play. Also, learn how flat, 2-dimensional shapes also come into play.
2. What Are Platonic Solids? - Definition and Types
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn that there are only five platonic solids in the whole world. You will also learn what they look like and see real-life examples.
3. Prisms: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson and you will see that there are different kinds of prisms. You will also learn how to separate a prism into its various parts so you can easily find the surface area. You will also learn the formula for the volume.
4. Pyramids: Definition, Area & Volume
Do you think of the great pyramids of Egypt when you hear the word pyramids? Watch this video lesson to learn why they are called pyramids and also how to find their surface area and volume.
5. What Are Cylinders? - Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn why soda cans are cylinders and the method by which you can discover how much soda can fit inside by finding the volume. You will also learn about finding a cylinder's surface area.
6. Cones: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn where in the real world you will see cones. Also, you will learn the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of these cones.
7. Spheres: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the surface area and volume of spheres. Learn the formulas and measurements you need to solve problems and discover how to identify spheres in the real world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Foundations of Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Logic in Mathematics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Geometric Figures: Homeschool Curriculum
- Properties of Triangles: Homeschool Curriculum
- Triangles, Theorems & Proofs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Parallel Lines & Polygons: Homeschool Curriculum
- Similar Polygons: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadrilaterals: Homeschool Curriculum
- Circular Arcs and Circles: Homeschool Curriculum
- Focus & Directrix: Homeschool Curriculum
- Analytical Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Introduction to Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum