About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other high school geometry work.
- Identify the geometric solids concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our high school geometry tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about geometric solids and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding pyramids, cones, platonic solids or any other geometric solids topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their geometric solids unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school geometry
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about geometric solids simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live algebra tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about geometric solids on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn about planes and the polyhedron.
- Identify the five platonic solids, and see real-life examples of each.
- Discuss the various types of prisms.
- Determine the area and volume of prisms, pyramids, cylinders, cones and spheres.
1. Planes and the Polyhedron: Definition and Example
Did you ever wonder what the pyramids in Egypt have to do with math? Watch this video to find out where in math a pyramid comes into play. Also, learn how flat, 2-dimensional shapes also come into play.
2. What Are Platonic Solids? - Definition and Types
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn that there are only five platonic solids in the whole world. You will also learn what they look like and see real-life examples.
3. Prisms: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson and you will see that there are different kinds of prisms. You will also learn how to separate a prism into its various parts so you can easily find the surface area. You will also learn the formula for the volume.
4. Pyramids: Definition, Area & Volume
Do you think of the great pyramids of Egypt when you hear the word pyramids? Watch this video lesson to learn why they are called pyramids and also how to find their surface area and volume.
5. What Are Cylinders? - Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn why soda cans are cylinders and the method by which you can discover how much soda can fit inside by finding the volume. You will also learn about finding a cylinder's surface area.
6. Cones: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn where in the real world you will see cones. Also, you will learn the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of these cones.
7. Spheres: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the surface area and volume of spheres. Learn the formulas and measurements you need to solve problems and discover how to identify spheres in the real world.
8. Polyhedra: Definition & Types
This article defines the meaning of polyhedra, a type of geometric object. Several types of polyhedra are described, and some interesting properties of polyhedra are discussed.
9. How to Find the Center of Mass of a Cone
In this lesson, we show how to find the center of mass of a cone. Of special interest is how to orient the cone in the Cartesian coordinate system to simplify the math.
10. How to Find the Height of a Cylinder
In this lesson, we'll see how to find the height of a cylinder by manipulating the formula for the volume of a cylinder. We'll also look at a practical application of this formula.
11. Finding the Volume for a Sphere with a Radius of 4: How-To & Steps
Read this how-to lesson to learn what steps you need to take to find the volume for a sphere with a radius of 4. Learn what the formula is and how to use it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Geometry: Tutoring Solution course
- Foundations of Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- Logic in Mathematics: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Geometric Figures: Tutoring Solution
- Properties of Triangles: Tutoring Solution
- Triangles, Theorems and Proofs: Tutoring Solution
- Parallel Lines and Polygons: Tutoring Solution
- Similar Polygons: Tutoring Solution
- Quadrilaterals: Tutoring Solution
- Symmetry, Similarity and Congruence
- Circular Arcs and Circles: Tutoring Solution
- Conic Sections: Tutoring Solution
- Analytical Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution