About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Geometry Basics for Precalculus chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topic||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Circles||Determining area and circumference; graphing circles; finding the center and radius|
|Tuesday||Completing the square||Rewriting equations using the completing the square process|
|Wednesday||Distance and midpoint formulas||How to use the distance formula and the midpoint formula|
|Thursday||Visualization problems and calculating volume||Solving visualizing geometry problems and calculating volume of shapes|
|Friday||The Pythagorean Theorem||Finding distance using the Pythagorean Theorem; using the Pythagorean Theorem in trigonometric functions.|
1. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
2. Graphing Circles: Identifying the Formula, Center and Radius
Discover how to graph circles by finding key information like the center and radius. Identify circles by simply looking at the formula, and vice versa.
3. Write the Standard Form of an Equation by Completing the Square
In math, we have a process called completing the square where you take your quadratic equation and rewrite it to make it easier to solve. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do this process easily yourself.
4. How to Use The Distance Formula
You can't always rely on your smartphone to tell you how far you need to travel to get from point A to point B. The distance formula will tell you the distance between any two points on a graph. In this lesson, you'll learn where it comes from and how to use it!
5. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
The formula for the midpoint of a line segment will tell you how to find the middle of any line segment on the x, y plane. Learn about this formula and see how it is used to find the midpoint of a line segment.
6. How to Solve Visualizing Geometry Problems
A picture is worth a thousand words, but sometimes drawing that picture can be like doing origami with your eyes closed. Practice translating complex problems into simple, meaningful images in this lesson.
7. How to Calculate the Volumes of Basic Shapes
Squares pegs = square holes. Triangular pegs = triangular holes. But where does a sphere go? In this lesson, review volumes of common shapes while contrasting a sphere and a cylinder - after all, they both go into the circular hole... right?
8. Finding Distance with the Pythagorean Theorem
How much faster is it to cut the corners in a race around the block? In this lesson, review the Pythagorean Theorem, and figure out how to solve without a right triangle.
9. Trigonometry and the Pythagorean Theorem
Explore how the Pythagorean Theorem can be used in conjunction with trigonometric functions. In this lesson, take an inverse trigonometric function, and define all three sides of a right triangle.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Precalculus Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Linear Equations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Inequalities: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Absolute Value Equations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Complex Numbers: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Systems of Linear Equations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Mathematical Modeling: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Solving Quadratics: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Quadratic Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Function Operations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Graph Symmetry: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Graphing with Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Rate of Change: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Polynomial Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Advanced Polynomial Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients: Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions & Function Graphs: Lesson Plans
- Exponential & Logarithmic Functions: Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Graphs: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Identities: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Applications: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Graphing Piecewise Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants: Lesson Plans
- Mathematical Sequences & Series: Lesson Plans
- Sets in Algebra: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections: Lesson Plans
- Polar Coordinates & Parameterizations: Lesson Plans
- Continuity: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Limits: Precalculus Lesson Plans