About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering college preparatory math material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding geometrical properties or geometry problems.
- Need an efficient way to learn about geometry.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra math learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Geometry chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Geometry chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What are the properties of circles, squares, triangles and other geometric shapes?
- How do I calculate the area and perimeter of squares and triangles?
- How do I calculate the area and circumference of circles?
- What are some mathematical applications of the Pythagorean Theorem?
- What's the procedure for indentifying similar triangles?
- What are the different kinds of angles and lines?
1. Properties of Shapes: Rectangles, Squares and Rhombuses
What's the difference between a square and a rectangle? What about a rhombus and a square? In this lesson, we'll look at the properties of these shapes.
2. Properties of Shapes: Triangles
Isosceles, equilateral and obtuse, oh my! These are terms for triangles. But, what do they mean? In this lesson, we'll explore the properties of triangles and take a closer look at the different types of triangles you may encounter.
3. Properties of Shapes: Circles
Circles are fundamental to everything we do. But, did you know they're much more than just round shapes? In this lesson, we'll look at the various parts of circles and how they all relate.
4. Perimeter of Triangles and Rectangles
Without realizing it, we calculate and use the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in regular everyday situations. Learn more about the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in this lesson, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
6. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
7. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
8. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
9. Applications of Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are used to solve problems in everyday situations. Learn how to solve with similar triangles here, and then test your understanding with a quiz.
10. Parallel, Perpendicular and Transverse Lines
What are the different types of lines? Where are they visible in the real world and how can you recognize them? Find out here and test your knowledge with a quiz.
11. Types of Angles: Vertical, Corresponding, Alternate Interior & Others
In addition to basic right, acute, or obtuse angles, there are many other types of angles or angle relationships. In this lesson, we will learn to identify these angle relationships and discuss their measurements.
12. Angles and Triangles: Practice Problems
Want more practice solving with angle pairs? How about more review for solving angles in triangles? Look no further. Get more practice here, and test your ability with a quiz.
13. Volume of a Frustum of Pyramids & Cones
Knowing how to calculate the volume of a cone or a pyramid leads to equations for the volume of a frustum. In this lesson, we derive two equations for calculating the volume of frustums.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Preparatory Mathematics: Help and Review course
- Math Foundations: Help and Review
- Problem Solving & Reasoning Skills
- Percents in Math Basics
- Decimals & Fractions Overview
- Understanding Fractions & Mixed Numbers
- Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Solving and Graphing Inequalities: Help and Review
- Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations: Help and Review
- Complex and Imaginary Numbers: Help and Review
- Properties of Exponents: Help and Review
- Properties of Polynomial Functions: Help and Review
- Simplifying and Solving Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Properties of Functions: Help and Review
- Logarithms and Exponential Equations: Help and Review
- Data & Estimation
- Logic in Math: Help and Review
- Sets: Help and Review
- Basic Probability and Statistics: Help and Review
- Geometric Laws & Proofs
- Grade Level Math Vocabulary: Help and Review