About This Chapter
Geometry of Three-Dimensional Objects - Chapter Summary
Take a look at this geometry chapter to review the basics of three-dimensional objects. The chapter's concise and memorable lessons examine the surface area to volume ratio as well as the methods that are used to measure polyhedrons, cones and cylinders. Each lesson comes with a short quiz, and the chapter concludes with a comprehensive multiple-choice exam. To help you study whenever it's convenient, we've made the chapter accessible on any computer or mobile device. When you're finished, you'l be able to:
- Calculate surface area to volume ratio
- Count the faces, edges and vertices of polyhedrons
- Find the area and volume of cones and cylinders
1. Surface Area to Volume Ratio
Although it may seem to be just a mathematical activity, the surface-area-to-volume ratio actually has real-world significance. In this lesson, you'll learn how you can calculate this ratio along with how useful this ratio is in various aspects of science.
2. Counting Faces, Edges & Vertices of Polyhedrons
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to count how many faces, edges, and vertices a polyhedron has. Also, you will learn how the number of faces, edges, and vertices are related.
3. What Are Cylinders? - Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn why soda cans are cylinders and the method by which you can discover how much soda can fit inside by finding the volume. You will also learn about finding a cylinder's surface area.
4. Cones: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn where in the real world you will see cones. Also, you will learn the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of these cones.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 8th Grade Math course
- Number Systems & Theory
- Problem-Solving in Real World Math
- Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- Graphing Lines & Inequalities
- Proportional Relationships & Linear Equations
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Systems of Linear Equations
- Graphical Transformations
- Geometry of Congruent & Similar Figures
- Geometry & Properties of Triangles
- Evaluating & Calculating Probability
- Measuring & Graphing Statistical Distributions