About This Chapter
Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Magnetic Fields - Chapter Summary
With this collection of lessons, you will review what magnetic fields are, how magnetic fields are created, and the poles in magnetic force. The chapter can help you prepare for the questions on magnetism in the Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC Assessment. You will also study the following in this chapter:
- Effects of magnetic forces on charges
- Interaction of moving charges and magnetic fields
- Uses and parts of an electromagnet
- Electromagnetic induction
Our experienced instructors are available to answer any questions you may have via the system interface. In addition, there are many features here that make studying easier, such as videos lessons with topic-searchable timelines so you can skip what you don't need and the texts include highlighted key vocabulary for easy reference.
1. What is a Magnetic Field?
Magnetic fields fill the space around all magnets, but they're impossible to detect with our own senses. We'll use a common tool to map out a magnetic field and then discuss ferromagnetic materials to see how a magnetic field can be used to create new magnets.
2. How Magnetic Fields Are Created
Have you ever wondered how magnetic fields are created? In this lesson, we'll discuss the very simple answer to this question and look at how electric current can be used to make electromagnets, which have many everyday applications.
3. Magnetic Force: Definition, Poles & Dipoles
You're probably familiar with magnets, but have you ever stopped to consider how they work? In this lesson, we'll look at the root of magnetism and some of the fundamental properties of magnets.
4. How Magnetic Forces Affect Moving Charges
A magnetic field exerts a force on a moving charged particle in ways that you might not expect. In this lesson, we're going to look at the direction of this force and the factors that affect its strength.
5. The Effect of a Magnetic Field on Moving Charges: Physics Lab
After completing this lab, you will be able to explain the effect of a magnetic field on moving charges, and demonstrate it using circuits and magnets. A short quiz will follow.
6. What is an Electromagnet? - Definition, Uses & Parts
In this lesson, you'll learn what an electromagnet is, how it is used in a few real-life situations, and the parts that make it up. A short quiz will follow.
7. Electromagnetic Induction: Definition & Variables that Affect Induction
We use electromagnetic induction every day, but do you have any idea what it is? In this lesson, we'll discuss this everyday phenomenon, the factors that affect its strength and its most common applications.
8. Electromagnetic Induction: Conductor to Conductor & Transformers
Every day, we make use of a special case of electromagnetic induction known as mutual induction. In this lesson, we'll talk about this special phenomenon and how it is used in many common devices.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Test Prep & Practice course
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Motion & Force
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Pressure, Volume & Temperature
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Energy & Heat
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Waves
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Work & Simple Machines
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Nuclear Reactions
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Atomic Structure
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Periodic Table
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Chemical Reactions & Bonding
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Solutions
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Electricity
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC Flashcards