About This Chapter
Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Periodic Table - Chapter Summary
Our study chapter on the periodic table will help you understand important information about the table and how to properly analyze it. This chapter gears you up for related questions on the Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC exam. The lessons in this chapter include:
- Groups and periods on the periodic table
- Atomic vs. ionic radii
- Ionization energy
- Relationships among elements such as metallic character and boiling points
- Differences between transition metals and main group elements
Our engaging video lessons are taught by experienced teachers who are here to answer any questions you may have about the material presented. You have the option to view the video lessons, read the lesson transcripts or use both. Using these options will enhance your learning experience and allow you to study in a way that is most comfortable for you. When you are ready, you can assess your knowledge with our quizzes and tests.
1. The Periodic Table: Properties of Groups and Periods
How is the periodic table like the map you used on your last road trip? In this lesson, you will be introduced to the periodic table, the road map of chemists. We will discuss how the elements are organized and how you can use this organization to identify some of their major physical properties.
2. Atomic and Ionic Radii: Trends Among Groups and Periods of the Periodic Table
Atoms are VERY tiny. How do we measure their size? This lesson will explain how the size of an atom is measured and teach you how to predict the relative size of an atom based on where it is located on the periodic table.
3. Ionization Energy: Trends Among Groups and Periods of the Periodic Table
Do you know someone who has undergone radiation as a form of cancer treatment? Have you ever thought about why X-rays have health risks? Watch the video to find out what these types of radiation are really doing to atoms, define ionization energy and identify ionization trends on the periodic table.
4. Electronegativity: Trends Among Groups and Periods of the Periodic Table
How is fluorine like a child that doesn't share his or her toys? Find out in this video on electronegativity where we will discuss group and periodic trends among the elements.
5. The Diagonal Relationship, Metallic Character, and Boiling Point
What may have once seemed like a bunch of random squares with letters in them is now shaping up to be one very organized chemistry reference. In this lesson you will discover three other trends that are found on the periodic table: the diagonal relationship, trends in metallic character, and trends in boiling point.
6. Transition Metals vs. Main Group Elements: Properties and Differences
Which is better: to be steadfast and consistent or to be a colorful chameleon? This lesson compares and contrasts the main group elements and the transition metals. Then make your own decision!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Test Prep & Practice course
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Motion & Force
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Pressure, Volume & Temperature
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Energy & Heat
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Waves
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Work & Simple Machines
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Nuclear Reactions
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Atomic Structure
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Chemical Reactions & Bonding
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Solutions
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Electricity
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC: Magnetic Fields
- Georgia Milestones - Physical Science EOC Flashcards