About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering common German expressions will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn basic German phrases for a variety of social contexts. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding common German expressions
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning German (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn commonly used German expressions
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra German learning resources
How It Works:
- Find lessons in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Watch the video or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the transcripts or specific lesson sections to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the German Expressions chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the German Expressions chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any German expression question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos and read text lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a German expressions unit of a standard German language course. Topics covered include:
- Basic pleasantries in German
- German agreement and opinion phrases
- Common slang phrases in German
- German argument and debate phrases
- German phrases that express condolence
- Differentiating between formal and informal speech in German
- German words that aren't translatable
1. German Pleasantries
In this lesson, we will learn how to have a polite conversation with the help of pleasantries - small words that are added to conversations to show politeness. We will learn the most important pleasantries in German and how to use them.
2. Opinion Phrases in German
In this lesson we will learn many German phrases that will allow us to agree with someone, disagree with someone, sit on the fence, and ask another's opinion of a situation.
3. German Agreement Phrases
This lesson will show you some of the best ways to tell that you agree in German. We will learn some words and phrases to show agreement and how to use them.
4. Commonly Used German Slang Phrases
In this lesson, we are going to take a look at some of the most popular and widely used German slang words and phrases. The lesson will explain how to correctly use them in everyday speech.
5. German Argument & Debate Phrases
In this lesson, we are going to talk about debating and arguing in German. We will learn some useful phrases about how to say that you agree or disagree and how to ask for other people's opinions and state your own.
6. German Condolence Phrases
In this lesson, we will talk about expressing condolences. We will learn the German vocabulary and phrases commonly used to speak to friends and family of someone who has passed away.
7. German Formal vs Informal Speech
This lesson focuses on when and how to address people in the formal and informal in German. You will learn the three forms of 'you' and some guidelines on when to use each of them.
8. Untranslatable German Words
In this lesson, we will explore untranslatable German terms. Let's take a look at fifteen German words that the English language has either adopted directly or for which there is no direct English translation.
9. German Proverbs & Phrases About Life
What are some of the most known German proverbs about life? We will learn what some common phrases mean, some of their English equivalents, and situations you can use them in.
10. German Phrases for Tourists
In this lesson we will learn phrases that will come in handy as a tourist in Germany or any other German-speaking country like Austria or parts of Switzerland. With this lesson under your belt, your trip will go much more smoothly.
11. German Phrases to Know at Oktoberfest
In this lesson, we will learn terms and phrases that will be useful to know when you travel to the Oktoberfest in Munich or when talking to someone who is going there.
12. German Proverbs About Family & Friendship
In this lesson, we will learn some of the most known German proverbs about friends and family. We will learn what they mean and situations you can use them in.
13. German Proverbs About Strength
In this lesson, we will talk about strength in its many forms. Here are some of the better-known German proverbs about strength, what they mean, and how to use them.
14. German Proverbs About Death
In today's lesson, we discuss some of the better-known German proverbs and sayings that talk about death, what happens after and how to face it. We will translate the proverbs and explain what they mean.
15. German Proverbs About War
War is unfortunately a part of our world, and many proverbs are used about peace, conflicts, winners, losers, and the course of war. In today's lesson, we will take a look at some of these proverbs and explain what they mean.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic German: Help & Review course
- German Special Occasion Vocabulary
- German Food & Restaurant Vocabulary
- German Words for Clothes
- German Time & Dates
- German Hobbies & Activities
- German Nature & Climate Vocabulary
- German Words for Animals
- Describing People in German
- German House & Home Vocabulary
- German Travel Vocabulary
- German Health & Wellness Vocabulary
- Types of German Pronouns
- Using Modal Verbs in German
- German Grammatical Cases
- Using German Adverbs
- German Science, Technology & Math Vocabulary
- German Conversational Terms
- German Location Vocabulary
- German Vocabulary for Affection & Intimacy
- German Verb Conjugation
- German Sentence Construction
- Types of German Verbs
- German Professional Vocabulary
- Using German Nouns
- Using German Adjectives
- German Verb Tenses
- German Numbers & Letters
- German Grammatical Moods