About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Algebra 1 Solving Linear Equations chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the linear equations topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Solutions for equations with the use of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Methods for solving word problems and equations with multiple steps
- Solutions for equations with the variable on each side
- Applications and calculations using ratios and proportions
- Tax and discount calculations
- Word problems with percents
- Solutions for equations and formulas
- Weighted averages and distance formulas
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Translating Words to Algebraic Expressions
When it comes to word problems, the easiest way to solve them is to look for keywords and change them into math symbols. Watch this video lesson to find out what keywords you should look for and what math symbols they represent.
2. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
3. How to Solve One-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
Word problems may be considered the most evil math invention ever, but never fear! Just watch this video lesson and you will know how to methodically translate these word problems into simple math and then to solve it.
4. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
5. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
6. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
7. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
8. Solving Equations Using Both Addition and Multiplication Principles
Most times in algebra, to solve for your variable, you will need to perform more than one operation to get your answer. Watch this video lesson to learn the proper steps to take to solve these equations.
9. Solving Linear Equations: Practice Problems
With practice, linear equations can be straightforward to solve. In this lesson, we'll define linear equations and learn how to solve them. We'll look at multiple practice problems and walk through solving each one.
10. Solving Equations Containing Parentheses
When we have parentheses in our equations it changes the way we solve them. Now we have an added step to do to remove those parentheses. Watch this video lesson to learn how it is done.
11. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
12. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
13. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
14. How to Solve Word Problems That Use Percents
100 percent of percent problems can be solved if we follow the correct steps. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of different percent problems.
15. Taxes & Discounts: Calculations & Examples
When you go shopping, you don't want to be surprised by the amount of tax on an item. You also want to fully understand discounts to know how much you can save. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating both tax and discounts.
16. Operations with Polynomials in Several Variables
In this video lesson, you will learn how to handle and work with polynomials that have more than one variable. This is important because in math you sometimes have to work with several variables at the same time.
17. Problem solving using Linear Equations
From sale prices to trip distances, many real life problems can be solved using linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice translating word problems into linear equations, then solving the problems.
18. Identifying and Calculating Averages on the SAT
In this lesson, we'll take the fear out of averages with a simple explanation and a pattern that you can use to make any average problem simple, even the weighted averages.
19. Distance Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Let's go on a road trip! In this lesson, we'll practice calculations involving distance, rate and time. We'll also look at how we determine the relationship between distance and fuel.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 1: The Language of Algebra
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 2: Real Numbers
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 4: Graphing Relations and Functions
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 5: Analyzing Linear Equations
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 6: Solving Linear Inequalities
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 7: Solving Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 8: Polynomials
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 9: Factoring
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 10: Quadratic and Exponential Functions
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 11: Radical Expressions and Triangles
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 12: Rational Expressions and Equations
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 13: Statistics
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 14: Probability