About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Algebra 1 Solving Linear Inequalities chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the solving linear inequalities topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Solutions of inequalities through addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Solutions for multi-step inequalities
- Mathematical sets and compound inequalities
- Absolute value equations and inequalities
- Graphs of 1- and 2-variable inequalities
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. How to Write Sets Using Set Builder Notation
Set builder notation allows the user to indicate specific items that are to be included within a set. In this lesson, we will learn how to write sets using set builder notation.
3. Translating Math Sentences to Inequalities
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily translate math sentences into inequalities. Once you know how to do this, solving word problems becomes that much easier.
4. Solving Linear Inequalities: Practice Problems
Linear inequalities may look intimidating, but they're really not much different than linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of linear inequalities.
5. Mathematical Sets: Elements, Intersections & Unions
Today we're going to explore mathematical sets, which are surprisingly simple! Sets are just collections of any objects or concepts, also known as elements, that can be related to each other through union or intersection.
6. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
In this lesson, we'll explore the conditions of compound inequalities and learn how to express them using set notation and interval notation. Test you knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
7. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
8. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
9. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
10. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities brings a lot of different skills together in one place. The practice problems in this video will give you a good chance to see more examples of absolute value inequalities but will also test your general algebraic knowledge.
11. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 1: The Language of Algebra
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 2: Real Numbers
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 3: Solving Linear Equations
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 4: Graphing Relations and Functions
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 5: Analyzing Linear Equations
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 7: Solving Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 8: Polynomials
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 9: Factoring
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 10: Quadratic and Exponential Functions
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 11: Radical Expressions and Triangles
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 12: Rational Expressions and Equations
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 13: Statistics
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 14: Probability