About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Algebra 1 Polynomials chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the polynomials topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Monomial factors and multiplication
- Five main exponent properties
- Division of monomials
- Simplification of expressions with exponents
- Polynomials, binomials and quadratics
- Polynomial functions
- Addition, subtraction and multiplication of polynomials
- FOIL and the area method for multiplication of binomials
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
2. How to Define a Zero and Negative Exponent
The zero and negative exponent properties are two you will use quite a lot in mathematics. The negative exponent property can be confusing, but when you remember a couple fun ideas, you will get it right every time!
3. How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
In this video, we will put all of the exponent properties we have learned together. Don't let lots of numbers and letters confuse you! Simplifying exponents can be easy and fun!
4. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
5. What are Polynomials, Binomials, and Quadratics?
What do polynomials, binomials, and quadratics have in common? What are their differences? How can you identify each of them? Watch this video lesson to find the answers.
6. Polynomial Functions: Exponentials and Simplifying
How do we keep track of a rapidly multiplying population of bunnies? Well, those are simply powers of 2. Review powers and simplify problems with exponents in this lesson.
7. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
8. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL and the Area Method
From the distributive property, to FOIL, to the area model, to happy faces and claws, there are many different ways to learn how to multiply binomials. In this lesson, you'll learn how to use all of them and get to pick which one you like the most.
9. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL & the Area Method: Practice Problems
There are a few mistakes that are easy to make when multiplying binomials with FOIL and also a few ways to complicate problems like this, so why not make sure you're brushed up on your skills? You'll also learn a shortcut and how to use the area method to multiply even bigger polynomials.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 1: The Language of Algebra
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 2: Real Numbers
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 3: Solving Linear Equations
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 4: Graphing Relations and Functions
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 5: Analyzing Linear Equations
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 6: Solving Linear Inequalities
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 7: Solving Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 9: Factoring
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 10: Quadratic and Exponential Functions
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 11: Radical Expressions and Triangles
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 12: Rational Expressions and Equations
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 13: Statistics
- Glencoe Algebra 1 Chapter 14: Probability