About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in Glencoe Geometry's Surface Area chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the surface area topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, re-watch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Planes and the polyhedron
- Orthogonal drawings
- Area and volume of platonic solids
- Area and volume of prisms
- Area and volume of cylinders
- Area and volume of pyramids
- Area and volume of cones
- Area and volume of spheres
- Lateral area of solids
Glencoe Geometry is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Planes and the Polyhedron: Definition and Example
Did you ever wonder what the pyramids in Egypt have to do with math? Watch this video to find out where in math a pyramid comes into play. Also, learn how flat, 2-dimensional shapes also come into play.
2. What Are Platonic Solids? - Definition and Types
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn that there are only five platonic solids in the whole world. You will also learn what they look like and see real-life examples.
3. How to Complete Orthogonal Drawings
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to draw the orthogonal drawings of an object from an isometric view of the object. You'll also learn how mentally rotating the object can help you.
4. Nets & Surface Area: 2-D Maps of 3-D Figures
Surface area can be tricky, but nets offer a quick way to be sure that you've accounted for each face of a given object when calculating that object's surface area. When you are through, test your understanding with a short quiz.
5. Prisms: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson and you will see that there are different kinds of prisms. You will also learn how to separate a prism into its various parts so you can easily find the surface area. You will also learn the formula for the volume.
6. Cylinder: Definition, Surface Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn the definition of a cylinder, how to find its surface area, and how to calculate the volume. Formulas and examples will be provided.
7. Pyramids: Definition, Area & Volume
Do you think of the great pyramids of Egypt when you hear the word pyramids? Watch this video lesson to learn why they are called pyramids and also how to find their surface area and volume.
8. Cones: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn where in the real world you will see cones. Also, you will learn the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of these cones.
9. Lateral Area: Definition, Formula & Examples
Lateral surface area is finding the area of the sides of a three-dimensional geometric figure. The formulas for lateral surface area are based on the base of the figure and whether the figure is a prism, cone, or pyramid. We will investigate all of these.
10. Volume & Surface Area of a Sphere
Watch this video lesson to learn how to find the volume and surface area of a sphere. Learn the formulas and measurements you need to solve problems and discover how to identify spheres in the real world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 1: Points, Lines, Planes, and Angles
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 2: Reasoning and Proof
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 3: Parallel and Perpendicular Lines
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 4: Congruent Triangles
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 5: Relationships in Triangles
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 6: Proportions and Similarity
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 7: Right Triangles and Trigonometry
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 8: Quadrilaterals
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 9: Transformations
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 10: Circles
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 11: Area and Volume
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 13: Volume