About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in Glencoe Geometry's Proportions and Similarity chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the proportion and similarity topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, re-watch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Ratios and proportions
- Similar polygons and triangles
- The transitive property of similar triangles
- The triangle proportionality theorem
- The triangle mid-segment theorem
- The angle bisector theorem
- Fractals and self-similarity
Glencoe Geometry is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
2. Solving Problems Involving Proportions: Definition and Examples
Learn how you can use proportions to find missing sides and how to increase or decrease the sizes of objects to create models of them in this video lesson.
3. Similar Polygons: Definition and Examples
Watch this video to learn what makes two polygons similar to each other. You'll also learn the one distinguishing aspect of similar polygons and see an example of how to compare two polygons.
4. Similar Polygons: Practice Problems
Similar polygons have the same angles and proportional side lengths. In this lesson, you'll solve some practice problems using their special properties.
5. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
6. Applications of Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are used to solve problems in everyday situations. Learn how to solve with similar triangles here, and then test your understanding with a quiz.
7. The Transitive Property of Similar Triangles
Watch this video lesson and you will understand what the transitive property is and how it applies to similar triangles. Watch as we apply the transitive property to three similar triangles.
8. Triangle Proportionality Theorem
Watch this video lesson to learn all about the triangle proportionality theorem and how you can use this interesting theorem to help you solve problems. Learn how a parallel line can create sides that are proportional to each other.
9. Midsegment: Theorem & Formula
Learn about the midsegment of a triangle and the way in which it's found. Read about the properties of the midsegment as they relate to the base, angles, perimeter and area, and then test your knowledge with a short quiz.
10. Proportional Relationships in Triangles
The perimeters of the two triangles, corresponding medians, corresponding angle bisectors, and corresponding altitudes are all similar. In this lesson, you'll learn about some of the proportional relationships in similar triangles.
11. Angle Bisector Theorem: Proof and Example
The angle bisector theorem sounds almost too good to be true. In this lesson, we set out to prove the theorem and then look at a few examples of how it's used.
12. Fractals in Math: Definition & Description
After watching this video lesson, you will know what the defining characteristic of a fractal is. You will see a fractal both in numbers and in an image.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 1: Points, Lines, Planes, and Angles
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 2: Reasoning and Proof
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 3: Parallel and Perpendicular Lines
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 4: Congruent Triangles
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 5: Relationships in Triangles
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 7: Right Triangles and Trigonometry
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 8: Quadrilaterals
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 9: Transformations
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 10: Circles
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 11: Area and Volume
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 12: Surface Area
- Glencoe Geometry Chapter 13: Volume