About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Ratios & Rates chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the ratios and rates topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- The greatest common denominator
- The least common multiple
- Ratios and rates
- Unit rates and unit prices
- Ratio tables
- Ordered pairs
- The comparison of ratios
- Equivalent ratios
- The process of calculating proportions and ratios
- The use of rates when solving problems
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
2. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
3. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
4. How to Calculate Unit Rates & Unit Prices
One of the most common uses of math is to find out whether something is a 'good deal.' Unit prices, a special kind of unit rate, allow us to determine the best deals. In this lesson, learn how to calculate unit rates, including unit prices.
5. Ratio Tables: Definition & Practice Problems
Ratio tables give you practical information that you can use to solve ratio problems. In this lesson, we define ratio tables and work through some practice problems that use them.
6. Comparing Ratios Using Tables & Graphs
In this lesson, we will be creating ratio tables to help in making decisions regarding many life circumstances, such as calculating how much money you will earn in a certain number of hours. Using a table to show ratios will produce clues to an outcome that are based upon mathematical evidence.
7. Practice Problems for Calculating Ratios and Proportions
In this lesson, you'll get a quick review of a type of math problem that shows up on the SAT: ratios and proportions. We'll walk through some problems in the video, and you can test your skills in the quiz questions.
8. Solving Problems Using Rates
In this video lesson, learn how to set up rate problems so you can easily solve them. You will become familiar with the rate formula and you will see how easy it is to use.
9. Ordered Pair: Definition & Examples
An ordered pair is a simple way of keeping track of two numbers by writing them in a specific order. Learn about ordered pairs and how they are useful.
10. Equivalent Ratios: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what ratios are and discover their relationship with fractions. You'll also learn what makes ratios equivalent and look at some examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Math Course: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Math Chapter 2: Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- Glencoe Math Chapter 3: Compute With Multi-Digit Numbers
- Glencoe Math Chapter 4: Multiply & Divide Fractions
- Glencoe Math Chapter 5: Integers & the Coordinate Plane
- Glencoe Math Chapter 6: Expressions
- Glencoe Math Chapter 7: Equations
- Glencoe Math Chapter 8: Functions & Inequalities
- Glencoe Math Chapter 9: Area
- Glencoe Math Chapter 10: Volume & Surface Area
- Glencoe Math Chapter 11: Statistical Measures
- Glencoe Math Chapter 12: Statistical Displays