About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Statistical Measures chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the statistical measures topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- Median, mean, range and mode
- The interquartile range
- Outliers, maximums and minimums
- Mean absolute deviation
- How to determine a data set's center
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Mean, Median, Mode & Range
In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set. These calculations, known as measures of central tendency, can provide valuable information about a data set.
2. Quartiles & the Interquartile Range: Definition, Formulate & Examples
Quartiles and the interquartile range can be used to group and analyze data sets. In this lesson, learn the definition and steps for finding the quartiles and interquartile range for a given data set.
3. Maximums, Minimums & Outliers in a Data Set
When analyzing data sets, the first thing to identify is the maximums, minimums, and outliers. This lesson will help you learn how to identify these important items.
4. What is Mean Absolute Deviation? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will first learn how to use the mean absolute deviation to find not only the average of a set of numbers but the average distance each number is from the average number. Then, we will show a step-by-step, real-world problem, to practice your skills.
5. What is the Center in a Data Set? - Definition & Options
Finding the center in a data set can sometimes be a little confusing. This lesson will help you determine the correct method for finding the center in a data set, and when you are finished, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Math Course: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Math Chapter 1: Ratios & Rates
- Glencoe Math Chapter 2: Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- Glencoe Math Chapter 3: Compute With Multi-Digit Numbers
- Glencoe Math Chapter 4: Multiply & Divide Fractions
- Glencoe Math Chapter 5: Integers & the Coordinate Plane
- Glencoe Math Chapter 6: Expressions
- Glencoe Math Chapter 7: Equations
- Glencoe Math Chapter 8: Functions & Inequalities
- Glencoe Math Chapter 9: Area
- Glencoe Math Chapter 10: Volume & Surface Area
- Glencoe Math Chapter 12: Statistical Displays