About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Fractions, Decimals & Percents chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the topics on fractions, decimals and percents you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- Rational numbers, fractions, decimals and notation
- The application of percents
- Conversion of percent notation to fraction notation
- The conversion of fraction notation to percent notation
- The process of switching between percents and decimals
- The ordering and comparison of fractions
- How the number line's used to compare different numbers
- The process of estimating percents of numbers
- Proportion examples
- The use of percents to solve equations and word problems
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals
How do fractions become decimals? And how do decimals become fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about the notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals and learn how they're related.
2. Percents: Definition, Application & Examples
Maybe you know that 95% is an A and 75% is a C. But what do those percents really mean? In this lesson, we'll learn about percents, including how to convert them to fractions and decimals.
3. Converting Percent Notation to Fraction Notation
The process of converting percents to fractions is quite easy if you know where to start. This lesson will show you how to perform the conversion and give some real-world examples.
4. Converting Fractions to Percents
There are times when it is important to know how to convert a fraction to a percent. Fortunately, the steps to perform this conversion are not difficult. This lesson will show you those steps and give some examples.
5. Converting from Percent Notation to Decimal Notation
Knowing how to convert a percent to a decimal can be a useful skill in many different situations. This lesson will show you how to perform that conversion and places where this skill will be helpful.
6. Converting Fractions to Percents & Back
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how to turn any fraction into a percent and vice versa. You will learn how they are related and how to write your answers properly.
7. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
8. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
9. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
10. How to Estimate the Percent of a Number
Many of us deal with percentages on a daily basis, and we don't always have a calculator on hand to find them. In this lesson, we will look at how to estimate the percent of a number without the use of a calculator so we will be able to handle those instances more easily.
11. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
12. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
13. How to Solve Word Problems That Use Percents
100 percent of percent problems can be solved if we follow the correct steps. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of different percent problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Math Course: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Math Chapter 1: Ratios & Rates
- Glencoe Math Chapter 3: Compute With Multi-Digit Numbers
- Glencoe Math Chapter 4: Multiply & Divide Fractions
- Glencoe Math Chapter 5: Integers & the Coordinate Plane
- Glencoe Math Chapter 6: Expressions
- Glencoe Math Chapter 7: Equations
- Glencoe Math Chapter 8: Functions & Inequalities
- Glencoe Math Chapter 9: Area
- Glencoe Math Chapter 10: Volume & Surface Area
- Glencoe Math Chapter 11: Statistical Measures
- Glencoe Math Chapter 12: Statistical Displays