About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Compute With Multi-Digit Numbers chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the multi-digit number computation topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Decimal subtraction, addition, division and multiplication
- How to use estimation to solve math problems
- The process for rounding decimals
- How to solve long division problems with large sets of numbers
- How to round dividends to estimate quotients
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division with Decimal Notation
Performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division has some differences when there are decimals involved. This lesson will explain how to perform these operations all while keeping the decimals straight.
2. Arithmetic with Decimal Numbers
Watch this video lesson and see how our little professor goes about adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing decimal numbers all without the use of a calculator!
3. Solving Mathematical Problems Using Estimation
Estimating is a method of calculating a result that is close to, but not exactly, the correct answer to a math problem. Why would you ever need to do this? This lesson reviews estimating and answers the question as to why you would do it.
4. How to Round Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to look at any decimal number and round it any which way you want. Learn the tipping point that determines whether to go up to the next number or not.
5. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
Problems involving decimal numbers might sound like a way to torture you, but learning how important these types of problems are in the real world is important. In this lesson, you will see a couple areas in life where you routinely encounter decimal number problems.
6. Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to divide larger numbers. You'll learn an easy to follow procedure that you can use to divide any two numbers.
7. Estimating Quotients by Rounding Dividends & Divisors
Have you ever wanted to complete tricky division problems without a calculator? If you learn how to round dividends and divisors, you can get an estimation for the answer or quotient.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Math Course: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Math Chapter 1: Ratios & Rates
- Glencoe Math Chapter 2: Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- Glencoe Math Chapter 4: Multiply & Divide Fractions
- Glencoe Math Chapter 5: Integers & the Coordinate Plane
- Glencoe Math Chapter 6: Expressions
- Glencoe Math Chapter 7: Equations
- Glencoe Math Chapter 8: Functions & Inequalities
- Glencoe Math Chapter 9: Area
- Glencoe Math Chapter 10: Volume & Surface Area
- Glencoe Math Chapter 11: Statistical Measures
- Glencoe Math Chapter 12: Statistical Displays