About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Equations chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the equations topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the math topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Using mental math to solve equations
- Solving equations with the addition principle
- Writing and solving equations by using the multiplication principle
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Use Mental Math to Solve Equations
You may be used to solving arithmetic problems, like addition or subtraction, in your head. In this lesson, we are going to take that mental math a step further and look at how to use mental math to solve equations.
2. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
3. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Math Course: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Math Chapter 1: Ratios & Rates
- Glencoe Math Chapter 2: Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- Glencoe Math Chapter 3: Compute With Multi-Digit Numbers
- Glencoe Math Chapter 4: Multiply & Divide Fractions
- Glencoe Math Chapter 5: Integers & the Coordinate Plane
- Glencoe Math Chapter 6: Expressions
- Glencoe Math Chapter 8: Functions & Inequalities
- Glencoe Math Chapter 9: Area
- Glencoe Math Chapter 10: Volume & Surface Area
- Glencoe Math Chapter 11: Statistical Measures
- Glencoe Math Chapter 12: Statistical Displays