About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Area chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the area topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- Calculating the area of a parallelogram
- The area of rectangles and triangles
- Finding the area of a trapezoid
- The effects of dimension on area and perimeter
- A polygon's area on a coordinate plane
- The area of complex figures
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Measuring the Area of a Parallelogram: Formula & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn the simple formula to find the area of a parallelogram. Learn what measurements you need, how to label your parallelogram, and how to use the formula.
2. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
3. Measuring the Area of a Trapezoid
In this video lesson, you will watch and learn how you can find the area of trapezoid. Learn what measurements you need to have on hand as well as the formula that you need to use.
4. How Changes in Dimensions Affect Area & Perimeter
Tweaking just one dimension in a figure can make an important difference in its perimeter and area. In this lesson, we'll look at rectangles, pentagons, and circles to explore how a change in one dimension can affect a figure's area and perimeter.
5. Finding the Perimeter & Area of a Polygon Graphed on a Coordinate Plane
So you've graphed a pentagon or an irregular octagon on a coordinate plane. How do you find its area? Its perimeter? In this lesson we'll discuss how to find the area and perimeter for any graphed polygon.
6. Area of Complex Figures
Finding the area of shapes isn't always as simple as it is with squares and rectangles. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the area of complex figures. This includes finding the area of unusual shapes and finding the area of parts of shapes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Math Course: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Math Chapter 1: Ratios & Rates
- Glencoe Math Chapter 2: Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- Glencoe Math Chapter 3: Compute With Multi-Digit Numbers
- Glencoe Math Chapter 4: Multiply & Divide Fractions
- Glencoe Math Chapter 5: Integers & the Coordinate Plane
- Glencoe Math Chapter 6: Expressions
- Glencoe Math Chapter 7: Equations
- Glencoe Math Chapter 8: Functions & Inequalities
- Glencoe Math Chapter 10: Volume & Surface Area
- Glencoe Math Chapter 11: Statistical Measures
- Glencoe Math Chapter 12: Statistical Displays