About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Rational Numbers and Percent chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the rational numbers and percent topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- The definition of rational numbers
- Notation for decimals, rational numbers and fractions
- Operations with like and unlike fractions
- Operations with mixed numbers
- Applications of percents
- How to change between percents and decimals
- How to change between fraction and percent notation
- Compounding interest formulas
- The formula for percent of change
- How to use and find percent proportion
- How to calculate discounts and taxes
- The steps to solve interest problems
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals
How do fractions become decimals? And how do decimals become fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about the notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals and learn how they're related.
2. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
3. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
4. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
5. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
6. Percents: Definition, Application & Examples
Maybe you know that 95% is an A and 75% is a C. But what do those percents really mean? In this lesson, we'll learn about percents, including how to convert them to fractions and decimals.
7. Converting from Percent Notation to Decimal Notation
Knowing how to convert a percent to a decimal can be a useful skill in many different situations. This lesson will show you how to perform that conversion and places where this skill will be helpful.
8. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
9. Converting Percent Notation to Fraction Notation
The process of converting percents to fractions is quite easy if you know where to start. This lesson will show you how to perform the conversion and give some real-world examples.
10. Converting Fractions to Percents
There are times when it is important to know how to convert a fraction to a percent. Fortunately, the steps to perform this conversion are not difficult. This lesson will show you those steps and give some examples.
11. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
12. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
13. Taxes & Discounts: Calculations & Examples
When you go shopping, you don't want to be surprised by the amount of tax on an item. You also want to fully understand discounts to know how much you can save. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating both tax and discounts.
14. How to Solve Interest Problems: Steps & Examples
If you want to know how your money can earn money, then it's essential to learn about solving interest problems. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating interest amounts and interest rates.
15. Compounding Interest Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Compound interest is a great way to have your money work for you. In this lesson, find out the formula for calculating compound interest and practice using the formula with several examples.
16. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Math Connects: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 2: Real Numbers and Monomials
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 3: Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 4: Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 5: Expressions and Functions
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 6: Linear Functions and Systems of Equations
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 7: Two- and Three-Dimensional Geometry
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 8: Triangles and Transformations
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 9: Units of Measure
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 10: Data Analysis and Statistics
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 11: Probability and Combinations
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 12: Area and Volume