About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Math Connects Equations and Inequalities chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the equations and inequalities topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- How to solve math problems using the addition and multiplication principles
- Solving equations that require multiple steps
- Ways to answer multi-step algebra word problems
- The definition of inequality
- Graphing 1- and 2-variable inequalities
- Using division, addition, subtraction and multiplication to solve inequalities
- Set notation and graphing compound inequalities and systems of inequalities
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
2. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
3. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
4. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
5. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
6. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
7. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
8. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
In this lesson, we'll explore the conditions of compound inequalities and learn how to express them using set notation and interval notation. Test you knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Math Connects: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 1: Rational Numbers and Percent
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 2: Real Numbers and Monomials
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 4: Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 5: Expressions and Functions
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 6: Linear Functions and Systems of Equations
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 7: Two- and Three-Dimensional Geometry
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 8: Triangles and Transformations
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 9: Units of Measure
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 10: Data Analysis and Statistics
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 11: Probability and Combinations
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 12: Area and Volume